Premier League - Paper round: Bale: Redknapp should go

Sun, 01 Apr 06:12:00 2012

Tottenham winger Gareth Bale has told Harry Redknapp he must quit Spurs if the FA ask him to take charge of the England team.

Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp gives instructions to Gareth Bale, September 2010 - 0

Redknapp is widely expected to be offered the England job, in the wake of Fabio Capello’s departure and, according to The Sun, Bale is confident Spurs will not miss the former West Ham boss should he leave.

“We all want Harry to stay,” the 22-year-old said. “But he is a great manager and if England do come calling it’s one of those lifetime opportunities that you just can’t turn down.

"Harry is a fantastic manager who can handle high-calibre players and expectations at the club. You need a big manager who can handle the pressure and handle top-quality international players.

“If we get a manager like that I dare say it won’t make too much difference.”

Staying at Spurs, Redknapp is reportedly closing in on signing Real Madrid’s Lassana Diarra in the summer (The Sun).

Redknapp has already signed Diarra once, when he was in charge at Portsmouth, and a bid to bring the Frenchman to White Hart Lane narrowly fell through last summer.

But an £8million offer is reportedly receiving some interest at Real with Diarra, who is out of contract at the Bernabeu in 2013, making no secret of the fact that he is keen to return to England.

news Tottenham

Across London, Arsenal have apparently already secured the signing of Germany striker Lukas Podolski (Sunday Mirror).

The Cologne forward is said to be keen to complete negotiations before Euro 2012 gets underway in June, and has agreed to a five-year, £10m deal that will reportedly see him net £80,000 a week.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is set for an uncomfortable conversation with the club’s owner John W Henry after director of football Damien Comolli was grilled during a trip to Boston last week (The Sun).

Henry reportedly wants answers as to why Liverpool are not in a Champions League spot, despite spending considerable amounts of money over the past year.

"The owners are in no mood to stomach such a poor run of results and made it quite uncomfortable for Damien," an Anfield source is quoted as saying in The Sun.

"People may suggest they don't know much about football, but they know an awful lot about money — and don't relish the idea of anyone wasting it for them.

"In all, Kenny has spent in excess of £110m and the idea was to qualify for the Champions League where the real money is."

Manchester United are reportedly lining up a £15m bid for PSV Eindhoven’s Kevin Strootman, a man they have labelled the "new Roy Keane" (Sunday Mirror).

The 22-year-old midfielder is not only captain at PSV but has kept Nigel de Jong out of the Dutch national team for 10 of the past 11 games, only missing the clash against England at Wembley due to injury.


Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account