Euro 2012 qual. - Police name 'murdered' fan

Wed, 07 Sep 13:26:00 2011

Police have launched a murder investigation after a Wales fan died following an incident outside Wembley Stadium before the Euro 2012 qualifying loss to England.

2009 Police generic - 0

On Wednesday the deceased was named as Michael John Dye, 44, from Cardiff.

Six people, all believed to be Welsh, have been arrested over the incident. Metropolitan Police confirmed they were called after reports of an assault outside the ground around half an hour before the 7.45pm kick-off.

"Officers and London Ambulance Service attended. A man, believed to be aged in his 40s, was taken to a north London hospital suffering from head injuries. He was pronounced dead at 8.50pm," a police statement said.

"Police believe they know the man's identity, but await formal identification and confirmation that all next of kin have been informed. A post-mortem will be scheduled in due course."

The investigation is being carried out by officers from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command.

A London Ambulance Service spokesman added: "Staff treated a 44-year-old man who had suffered a cardiac arrest.

"Extensive efforts were made to resuscitate the patient and he was taken to hospital."

Championship outfit Cardiff City released a statement on Tuesday evening, revealing that the victim was a fan of the South Wales club.

"Late on Tuesday night details reached us concerning a tragedy where a Wales and Cardiff City supporter died at the match between England and Wales," it read.

"Out of respect for the family of the supporter, the sensitivity of the situation and until full details are circumstances are ascertained, no statements will be made until deemed fit by proper channels."

The BBC reported that it is not thought inter-club rivalry, such as that which Cardiff share with Swansea City, is behind the incident.

Fellow fan Ollie Ayton was close by when the incident occurred.

"I did not see him fall as I was facing the other way but I turned immediately to see him unconscious," he told the BBC.

"There did not appear to be any fight before; I cannot confirm this as I did not see it, but there was no excess noise or shouting that signalled a fight.

"My friends and I went to watch the match after we realised we couldn't help.

"I left 85 minutes into the game and there were lots of police officers and the area was cordoned off."

Wales coach Gary Speed offered his condolences to Dye's family and agreed the incident had overshadowed the match.

"It's a game of football at the end of the day and there's nothing more precious than life," he told Sky Sports. "The players and the staff, we're all deeply saddened by the news that we found out after the game."

England won the match 1-0 with an Ashley Young goal.

Eurosport / Reuters

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account