Euro 2012 qual. - Six bailed over Wembley fan death

Thu, 08 Sep 09:01:00 2011

Six men arrested over the death of a football fan attacked outside Wembley Stadium before Tuesday night's game between England and Wales have been bailed.

Wembley Stadium arch - 0

Wales supporter Mike Dye, from Cardiff, was beaten to death outside the stadium before kick-off in the Euro 2012 qualifier which saw England win 1-0.

The men detained in connection with the incident, aged between their late 20s and early 40s and all believed to be Wales supporters, will return to speak to police officers again on dates in November, Scotland Yard said.

Dye, 44, was found with head injuries on a concourse area outside the turnstiles at around 7:20pm.

Paramedics revealed that he also suffered a heart attack before being rushed to a north London hospital.

Colleagues at Cardiff Council, where Dye worked in the highways department, paid tribute to Dye. Chief executive Jon House said: "Staff at the authority are devastated at the loss of their colleague and friend who gave almost 20 years of good service to the Council in a very specialised service.

"Our thoughts are with his family at this tragic time and we will be offering support to his family and work colleagues."

Dye was a long-time Cardiff fan who wrote about the Bluebirds on the CardiffCityForum internet site.

Carl Curtis, the forum moderator, added an official message following news of the death last night.

He said: "I would urge everyone to leave the whispers, rumours and stories going around the internet tonight where they are out of respect for Mikey's family members and leave your condolences here.

"I have been asked to put this message out from the club and I have also been asked to say that the club will give Mikey a send off on Saturday at the Doncaster game.

"The club officials have passed on their condolences and will do so again this Saturday."

Police continue to appeal for anyone who may have witnessed the attack to come forward.

A police spokesman added: "Officers from the Homicide & Serious Crime Command are investigating, and inquiries continue to establish the full circumstances of the incident."

Cardiff City paid tribute to the lifelong fan, putting a statement on their official website from chief executive Gethin Jenkins.

It read: "Our thoughts and condolences go to Mike's family and friends at this devastating time.

"Mike was clearly a committed and passionate supporter of the club for many years and his passing is extremely sad to many within our community and the football family at large.

"We will remain in close contact with his family in the coming days and fully respect any wishes they may have in relation to public tributes.

"What matters most is that they are given time and space to mourn their tragic loss, while we will do all we can to offer our support and sympathies."

Tributes were also left outside the Bluebirds' home ground, Cardiff City Stadium.


Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account