Redknapp stands firm over Pav

Sat, 10 Dec 13:44:26 2011

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp insists he will not let Roman Pavlyuchenko leave the club next month unless he has already lined up a suitable replacement for the Russia striker.

Pavlyuchenko wants to leave White Hart Lane in order to boost his chances of playing for his country at Euro 2012 after seeing his playing time limited this season due to the arrival of Emmanuel Adebayor, and the excellent form of Rafael van der Vaart and Jermain Defoe.

Several clubs could bid for Pavlyuchenko in January, but Redknapp does not want to damage his side's chances of a top-four finish by leaving himself short of strikers, and said: "If we let Pav go we'd leave ourselves short. If he decides he wants to go and the club get a good offer then we've got to be ready to replace him from somewhere."

Spurs have been linked with a number of strikers in recent months, including Chelsea's Didier Drogba, his transfer-listed team-mate Nicolas Anelka, and Brazil international Leandro Damiao.

Redknapp also hinted that he would launch a new bid for Bolton and England centre-half Gary Cahill last week, but the Spurs boss denies that he has given chairman Daniel Levy a January wish-list.

"We (Redknapp and Levy) talk about players all the time, but I couldn't sit here and say we've got targets. We haven't," the 64-year-old said.


Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account