Premier League - Villa beat Fulham at the death

Sat, 10 Mar 17:01:00 2012

Aston Villa ended a run of seven Premier League home games without a victory as substitute Andreas Weimann's stoppage time winner saw them beat Fulham 1-0.

Aston Villa 1 Fulham 0

The Austrian bundled home at the second attempt in the final minute of stoppage time after Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer could only palm away what looked like a straightforward shot from the edge of the area from another substitute Gary Gardner.

Initially Schwarzer made up for his mistake with a point-blank save from Weimann's diving header but the 20-year-old from Vienna was able to bundle the second rebound over the line.

It was just about deserved for Villa who were the better team even though they failed to create many chances against a Fulham side that had at least managed to keep their shape despite a disappointing performance right up until the final moments of the match.

The result means that Villa move up one place to 14th while Fulham, who were aiming to win four Premier League matches in a row for the first time in their history, remain in eight.

Villa named an unchanged line-up from the side that drew 1-1 with Blackburn last weekend while Fulham brought in Stephen Kelly for Aaron Hughes in their sole change from the team that thrashed Wolves 5-0.

Villa dominated the first-half against a very sloppy Fulham side but lacked a cutting edge in the final third.

They had 11 shots to Fulham's two in the opening period and seven corners to none but Schwarzer only had to make one save of note.

That came in the 17th minute when Danny Murphy gave the ball away cheaply in midfield and Gabriel Agbonlahor was able to run into the box before firing a left foot shot that the Aussie keeper had to push away.

All Villa's other attacks seemed to end with poor crosses or wasteful shots from distance, with Stiliyan Petrov particularly guilty of leaving his shooting boots at home.

Fulham picked up a bit as the half went on but Shay Given had little to do other than easily gather a low Andy Johnson shot, although a clever free-kick from Murphy to Johnson at the end of the half caused some panic when Johnson's low cross/shot trickled across the six-yard box and wide.

The second-half was a more even affair with Fulham starting the half brightly despite having to take off captain Murphy at half-time after his eye dangerously swelled up from an elbow he received from Stephen Ireland in the first half. Referee Jon Moss deemed it accidentally at the time but Martin Jol and Murphy might see it differently.

Again chances were at a premium after the break but Damien Duff did produce a wonderful low cross in the 52th minute that was just begging for a touch.

Both teams hit the woodwork too with Marc Albrighton digging a good shot onto the crossbar in the 61st minute after being well set up by Alan Hutton and Duff hitting the outside of the post with an awkward half-volley at the other end in the 70th minute.

Two minutes later the home fans booed Alex McLeish's decision to take off Charles N'Zogbia and bring on Weimann and despite some later pressure, it looked like Fulham were comfortably walking away with a point.

That was until the late drama in the third minute of stoppage time though as Weimann found himself in the right place at the right time to justify his manager's faith in him.

Seán Fay / Eurosport

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account