London 2012 - IOC confirm London 2012 schedule
London 2012 organisers have been given the go-ahead to start selling tickets in March as scheduled after the International Olympic Committee rubber-stamped the final sports schedules for the Games.
London 2012 chief executive Paul Deighton confirmed that by December 25, two million people had already registered for tickets.
And IOC executive director Gilbert Felli confirmed that the schedule had been validated, adding there was little else to report about London 2012 after the IOC co-ordination commission visited at the end of last year.
Following an IOC executive board meeting in Lausanne he said: "We have discussed the finalisation of the sports schedule for London and we validated it.
We also reviewed the venues and preparations of the organising committee and there was nothing new for us because of what we had already achieved on the last commission visit."
Meanwhile, the IOC also confirmed that 400m Olympic champion LaShawn Merritt will not be allowed to compete at London 2012, giving their full backing to a rule that bars any athlete with a doping suspension of at least six months from competing in the next Olympics.
IOC officials rejected claims that the rule amounts to a second punishment, saying it is the IOC's right to rule on who can participate in its event.
"The athletes made it very clear they support the rule," IOC vice president Thomas Bach said.
"The rule applies. It shows the full resolve of the IOC in the fight against doping and demonstrates that Olympic athletes serve as role models worldwide."