Perez thunders to GP2 win in Abu Dhabi
Sergio Perez dominated the GP2 feature race in Abu Dhabi to take top spot on the podium ahead of British rivals Oliver Turvey and Sam Bird.
The Mexican driver managed to get ahead of polesitter Turvey at the first corner and did not look back, winning the race by a margin of more than 20 seconds.
The win meant that Perez secured second place in this season's championshp.
Turvey was given a second chance to get back on terms with the Mexican when the safety car came out on lap four to deal with Adrian Zaugg's Trident, stranded after a clash with Michael Herck.
Perez pulled away once more, leaving Turvey to take second spot behind him.
Behind the front two, Bird's race was a barnstorming one. Having been dropped to 18th after grid penalties, the Brit made early headway and reached seventh before an early pitstop lifted him a couple of places further.
His podium place came when he got past the iSport of Davide Valsecchi, but having gone that far he then had to defend bravely to deny Dani Clos a way through.
Champion Pastor Maldonaldo's disappointing weekend looked to have turned around when he briefly led after his rivals had all pitted. The gloom soon set in, though, as a drive-through penalty for passing under a yellow flag and a late tyre stop condemned him to a lowly finish of 17th.
1. Sergio Perez Barwa Addax 59m53.752s
2. Oliver Turvey iSport + 21.065s
3. Sam Bird ART + 29.695s
4. Dani Clos Racing Engineering + 30.442s
5. Davide Valsecchi iSport + 36.614s
6. Romain Grosjean DAMS + 38.175s
7. Luiz Razia Rapax + 39.196s
8. Josef Kral Super Nova + 39.724s
9. Brendon Hartley Coloni + 40.679s
10. Rodolfo Gonzalez Arden + 49.704s
11. Marcus Ericsson Super Nova + 55.360s
12. Max Chilton Ocean + 57.925s
13. Fabrizio Crestani DPR + 58.334s
14. Jerome D'Ambrosio DAMS + 58.836s
15. James Jakes Coloni + 1m01.227
16. Michael Herck DPR + 1m02.178
17. Pastor Maldonado Rapax + 1m14.109
18. Jules Bianchi ART + 1m29.646
19. Federico Leo Trident + 1m36.305
20. Charles Pic Arden + 1 lap