Heineken Cup - Round-up: Saints into quarters

Fri, 14 Jan 22:28:00 2011

All the action from Friday's Heineken Cup games, with Northampton becoming the first side to qualify for the quarter-finals.

- 0


Northampton became the first team this season to qualify for the Heineken Cup quarter-finals as they beat Edinburgh 37-0 at Franklin's Gardens to claim with their fifth consecutive win in the competition.

It was a far from vintage performance from the Saints but it was convincing enough against a dogged but poor Edinburgh side, who never looked like threatening Saints' unbeaten European record.

The game was a very uninspiring affair up until the last eight minutes when Saints scored three tries all from excellent wing Paul Diggin, who finished with a total of four.

Brian Mujati claimed the other try with Stephen Myler kicking 10 points and Joe Ford booting two.


Cardiff Blues kept alive their slim hopes of qualifying for the Amlin Challenge Cup as they claimed a deserved 14-9 Heineken Cup Pool One win over Castres at Cardiff City Stadium.

The Blues already had no hope of reaching the last eight in the top-tier competition but this win keeps them in the hunt for a runners-up spot which would put them in the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup. But they may be left to rue the losing bonus point the French visitors picked up to keep themselves in second place by a single point with one round of games to go.

A Leigh Halfpenny try and three penalties from Dan Parks made up the Welsh side's scoring while Castres responded with penalties from Seremaia Bai (two) and Pierre Berard.

The hosts, outplayed up front when they visited Castres, will be happy with the dominance of their scrum, while skipper Paul Tito controlled the line-out, but they were unable to convert possession into points.


Clermont Auvergne won an all-French clash with Racing Metro to move level on points with Pool Two leaders Leinster.

Racing Metro made the early running as Bernard Le Roux's converted try added to a Juan Hernandez penalty to give the visitors a 10-0 lead.

Clermont Auvergne turned the tide, however, with Gonzalo Canale crossing on 26 minutes to reduce the deficit to 7-10 at the interval.

A frenzied spell where the Racingmen scored once and Clermont Auvergne twice in a three-minute passage of play in the second half turned the game the hosts' way, and skipper Aurelien Rougerie produced a try late on to grab a crucial bonus point.

Eurosport / PA Sport

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account