Premier League - Barry rescues point for City

Eurosport - Tue, 16 Feb 21:55:00 2010

Manchester City went fourth in the Premier League after Gareth Barry's late goal rescued a 1-1 draw against 10-man Stoke at the Britannia Stadium.

Abdoulaye Faye Stoke City - 0

Abdoulaye Faye was shown a straight red card after the break following a dour first half but Glenn Whelan fired the home side ahead after 72 minutes.

And Stoke looked to be headed for their seventh home win of the season until Barry responded quickest to poke home with five minutes remaining before Ryan Shawcross saw his 95th-minute header dubiously ruled out.

Roberto Mancini faced a selection headache before kick-off with Carlos Tevez and Craig Bellamy out and Shaun Wright-Phillips, Stephen Ireland and Martin Petrov, who all eventually made the bench, struggling to shrug off knocks.

And the visitors, who had lost their previous two away games at Hull City and Everton, were slow out of the blocks, with Stoke dictating the opening exchanges.

Man City failed to deal with a long Rory Delap throw but were let off the hook with Shay Given collecting a tame shot in a crowded box before Delap saw his shot from the edge of the area blocked while Whelan volleyed over.

And Faye saw his powerful header nodded over the bar by Joleon Lescott in what proved to be the best chance of the half.

But City weathered the storm, with Micah Richards and Lescott, playing his third game since returning from injury, particularly strong at the back during the opening 45 minutes.

Faye was Stoke's star man during the first half, performing his limited duties to perfection.

But the former Newcastle defender was sent for an early bath by referee Alan Wiley after miscontrolling a long City clearance and subsequently hauling down Emmanuel Adebayor.

Credit to Stoke, though, as Tony Pulis's troops refused to lie down and Ricardo Fuller had a penalty appeal turned down after a tangle of legs with Barry.

And their wholehearted approach paid dividends when a catalogue of errors handed them the advantage.

Man City failed to deal with Delap's cross from the left and, after Adam Johnson's attempted clearance ended in an air-shot, Whelan fired a 22-yard strike at the flapping Given, who pushed the ball into his own net.

City began to get a stranglehold on the game with substitute Wright-Phillips proving a menace down the right.

But the equaliser came in fortunate circumstances when Adebayor rose to nod on to Barry, whose side-footed volley hit the post only for the ball to fall to the former Aston Villa captain who turned it home despite lying in the heap on the floor with Shawcross.

And there was still time in a frantic finish for Shawcross to have his towering header disallowed for a foul on Given as Stoke searched for what would have been an unlikely but deserved win.

George Scott / Eurosport

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account