Premier League - Drogba agent 'held talks with City'

Eurosport - Tue, 20 Jul 07:44:00 2010

Didier Drogba's agent has claimed to have held negotiations with Manchester City over a sensational move from Chelsea.

- 0

Thierno Seydi said he had been in "direct contact" with City and Drogba could be tempted to make a shock switch to Eastlands.

Speaking on French radio station RMC, he said: "Today, he is at Chelsea but there might be some surprises before August 31.

"The only direct contact I had was with Manchester City. But for now we stick with the status quo. We listen to everyone but Didier leaving Chelsea is not an easy task because everything is there for him to do well.

Seydi added: "He is 32 and open to everything. At his age, I cannot ignore the financial aspect."

City have spent hundreds of millions in the transfer market since Sheikh Mansour's Abu Dhabi United Group took over the club in 2008, and nearly lured Chelsea captain John Terry with a 200,000-a-week contract offer.

Last night City moved quickly to issue a denial, saying they did not want the player.

If City had been found to have spoken to Drogba's agent without making a formal approach to Chelsea they could open themselves to accusations of tapping-up, but they insisted no talks have taken place.

Vicky Kloss, the club's director of communications, told The Times: "We can categorically state we have no interest in signing Didier Drogba and any suggestion of an approach is entirely without foundation."

Seydi reiterated that Drogba wants to end his career at Marseille, where he played during the 2003/04 season.

"There are only two or three clubs that may interest Didier. We often speak of Marseille because the team is in his heart. If Marseille want Didier, maybe they can call me. But nobody has done yet."


Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account