Williams, Waltrip settle over Coughlan


Fri, 21 Oct 10:45:18 2011

Williams has settled out of court with NASCAR team Michael Waltrip Racing (MWR) over its signing of Mike Coughlan as chief engineer earlier this year.

MWR, where Coughlan used to work, took Williams to court in the United States earlier this year over the move, citing breach of contract and interference from the Grove-based outfit.

However, with discussions having taken place in private between the two teams, a settlement has been reached that brings the matter to a close.

Court documents filed in the Charlotte Division of the United States District Court, which have been seen by AUTOSPORT, said that MWR and Coughlan: "hereby dismissed with prejudice all of their respective claims against each other. The parties shall bear their own costs."

A statement issued by MWR confirmed that an 'amicable solution' had been reached that now leaves the way clear for Coughlan to focus purely on his new job with Williams.

Rob Kauffmann, who is co-owner of MWR, said: "I have always been an admirer of Frank Williams and his team and am delighted that we have found a good way forward.

"I wish the team well with its move back to the front of the F1 grid and am sure that Mike Coughlan can make a big contribution with that."

Frank Williams added: "We are grateful to Rob for working this problem out with us. Waltrip is a super team competing in a fantastic sport - the best thing for me is that as part of the deal I will get to see my first NASCAR race."


Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account