Premier League - Bolton hammer Newcastle

Sat, 20 Nov 16:56:00 2010

Johan Elmander and Kevin Davies scored a brace apiece as Bolton hammered an ill-disciplined Newcastle 5-1 in their Premier League clash at the Reebok Stadium.

- 0

Home captain Davies gave the hosts the lead in the 18th minute from the penalty spot, after his predecessor - and now Newcastle captain - Kevin Nolan handled the ball in the box under pressure from the unflagging Chung-Yong Lee.

South Korean Lee then doubled Bolton's lead five minutes before half-time, taking advantage of some suicidal Newcastle defending to clip the ball expertly past Tim Krul - seconds after Matthew Taylor had hammered a free kick against the crossbar.

Elmander then scored two second-half goals to secure all three points for the hosts, sandwiched by a Andy Carroll strike, before Fabricio Coloccini was shown a straight red card for thrusting an elbow into the face of the Swede.

Davies then added the gloss to a dominant display from Owen Coyle's men, getting his second from the penalty spot after a clumsy challenge in the box from Jose Enrique.

All eyes were on Carroll going into the match with Bolton, after the big striker's encouraging England debut against France on Wednesday.

However, the 21-year-old striker was a mere spectator in a fraught first half - starved of service from a midfield sorely missing the creative instincts of the suspended Joey Barton.

Too often Chris Hughton's side searched for the tall striker with a hopeful long ball - easily dealt with by Bolton centre-halves Gary Cahill and Zat Knight, who enjoyed an utterly comfortably opening half in Greater Manchester.

The Bolton attack, in contrast, looked to move the ball quickly along the floor, with Elmander brimming with confidence after his wonder goal in the 3-2 win at Wolves last week.

Fabrice Muamba came close to opening the scoring with a quarter of an hour played, but was an inch away from getting a crucial touch on Lee's teasing ball across goal from the right wing.

The hosts would not have to wait much longer for the decisive opening, though, after Nolan's needless handball and Davies duly despatched the penalty into the bottom right corner .

Soon after Taylor's 20-yard free-kick thundered back off Krul's crossbar to Newcastle full-back Danny Simpson whose attempted clearance cannoned back off a blue shirt and fell neatly into Lee's path.

The South Korean expertly guided his left-foot shot inside the right-hand post - giving Bolton a thoroughly deserved 2-0 lead at half-time with Newcastle yet to register a shot on target.

Hughton would almost certainly have read the riot act to his under performing side at half-time, but it was Bolton who emerged with a greater sense of urgency - going 3-0 up with just five minutes played of the second period.

Lee squared the ball from the right wing to Davies, who took a touch before prodding the ball beyond the static Newcastle defence and into the path of Elmander. The Swede easily rounded Krul, and slotted the ball inside the near post.

Carrol replied instantly, stabbing Newcastle's first shot on target past Jussi Jaaskelainen after Stuart Holden unwittingly sent the big striker clean through on goal, before three minutes of madness from Coloccini effectively settled the encounter in Bolton's favour.

With 72 minutes played the Argentine centre-back dallied under a simple long, high ball to Elmander, allowing the Swede to muscle him off the ball and slot the ball past the advancing Krul for Bolton's fourth.

Three minutes later Coloccini dealt with his frustration by swinging an elbow clean into Elmander's jaw - receiving a straight red card - and there was still time for an injury-time penalty from Davies, ensuring a vital three points in the most comprehensive fashion for the rampant Trotters.

John Stead / Eurosport

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account