Premier League - Torres wants clarity after Chelsea nightmare
Sun, 20 May 23:39:00 2012
Chelsea striker Fernando Torres has said he has had the worst moments of his career with the club this season and needs clarity about his future role with the newly-crowned European champions.
Spain international Torres told Spanish sports daily As he had been bitterly disappointed at being left out of the starting line-up for Saturday's Champions League final and said if it had not been for the support of the fans during a difficult campaign he would have "thrown in the towel".
"This season I have felt things that I had never felt before," As quoted Torres – who was reported to have been denied the opportunity to take a penalty in the final shoot-out with Bayern Munich – as saying.
"I felt that they treated me in a way that I was not expecting, not in the way we spoke about when this club signed me," added the former Liverpool player.
"We have had a lot of conversations and at the end of the season we will talk to see what happens with my future because what I have experienced this year is not a role for me, the one I thought I would have when I came, I am not happy," he said.
"A victory like the one in Munich provides some compensation but I want them to tell me what is going to happen in the future.
"Right now yes I do feel that football is worth all the effort but I have had very bad moments. The worst of my career. And I don't want to have them again."
Torres moved to Chelsea from Liverpool in January 2011 in a £50 million deal but has struggled for form and confidence, although he improved notably in the latter stages of this season.
At one point Torres had gone 25 hours without a goal but scored twice in an FA Cup win over Leicester City, hit his first Chelsea hat-trick in a heavy defeat of QPR and netted a dramatic last-gasp equaliser at Barcelona as his side went through to the Champions League finals.
Champions League : Chelsea