Premier League - QPR beat nine-man Chelsea

Sun, 23 Oct 18:00:00 2011

Queens Park Rangers beat west London rivals Chelsea for the first time in 16 years with a 1-0 win at Loftus Road in their Premier League derby clash.

QPR 1 Chelsea 0

Chelsea's nightmare afternoon began when Heidar Helguson converted the soft penalty he won off David Luiz after 10 minutes and continued when both Jose Bosingwa and Didier Drogba were sent off before half-time.

Defeat for the Blues saw them spurn the chance to go second in the league, two points clear of champions Manchester United. A famous win for QPR moved them into the top half of the table and banished memories of their last London derby, a 6-0 drubbing at Fulham.

Chelsea looked set to take the game to their fellow residents of the borough of Hammersmith and Fulham as early as the second minute when Daniel Sturridge played a one-two with Drogba and drilled a low effort wide.

But the course of the game was changed dramatically on nine minutes when Luiz clumsily barged into Helguson from behind when the striker had his back to goal, and the Iceland international did not need any encouragement to hit the deck. Referee Chris Foy instantly pointed to the spot, and Helguson converted from 12 yards for his second goal of the season, but only after winning the row with Adel Taarabt over who should take it.

Things went from bad to worse for Chelsea after half an hour when Jose Bosingwa could not handle the pace of former Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips and brought him down on the edge of the area, incurring a red card.

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas brought on Branislav Ivanovic for Sturridge, but soon he was forced into another reshuffle when his team was reduced to nine men.

Four minutes before half-time Drogba lost the ball in midfield and lunged recklessly at Taarabt in a bid to win it back, and he too was given his marching orders. Fortunately for Chelsea, Fernando Torres will return from suspension in time for the next match when Drogba begins his own ban.

Despite their depleted number, Chelsea continued to carry a threat after the break, with substitute Nicolas Anelka causing plenty of concern for the QPR defence.

Frank Lampard, making his 500th Premier League appearance, had a header blocked from Raul Meireles's cross soon after the restart, and soon afterwards both he and Luiz had decent cases for penalties turned down by the officials.

Helguson spurned a great chance to settle the match 13 minutes from time when he volleyed Joey Barton's well-delivered free-kick over the bar, and that missed boosted Chelsea's spirits.

They could have levelled when Anelka headed Ivanovic's cross right at Paddy Kenny, and then Luiz made a marauding run forward to start a move that ended with him hitting a spectacular overhead kick on target only to deflect over the bar off Lampard's boot.

A frenetic five minutes of stoppage time ended with goalkeeper Petr Cech coming up for a free-kick, but the Blues could not force an equaliser that would have seen them avoid a first defeat to a newly-promoted team in over a decade.

Tony Mabert - on Twitter @tony_mabert / Eurosport

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account