Guardini wins again in Malaysia
Andrea Guardini sprinted to victory on stage six of the Tour de Langkawi - his third stage win of the event.
The 21-year-old Italian finished the 107 kilometre stage in two hours and 14.59 seconds, but surrendered the points jersey to second-placed Anuar Manan (Terengganu ProAsia Cycling Team) - who collected more points in the intermediate sprints.
“I’m very happy to win the stage even though I have lost the points jersey,” said Guardini. “It’s a great achievement to get three stage wins out of four so far.
“There was a battle for the intermediate sprints and the points classification is very tight. Anuar Manan is pretty motivated to win this classification. There is only one point between us but I’m fine with it for now.”
Japan's Takashi Miyazawa finished third after Guardini was, once again, delivered to the perfect position by his Farnese Vini-Neri team-mates.
“It was fast in the last seven or eight kilometers but the last kilometer was easy as we were riding at a high speed," Guardini added. "My team-mates delivered me to the part where I need to start my sprint, which is 300 meters from the line and I managed to win again.”
Four stages remain of the 2011 Tour de Langkawi, with Libardo Corredor and Jonathan Monsalve fighting for the overall lead.
Corredor's 36th-placed finish ensured that the Colombian stays top going into stage seven on Saturday, but Monsalve sits just two seconds behind.
“There are four more stages remaining and with the sprinters focused on the points, it’s going to be hard but we’ll see how it goes tomorrow,” the Venezuelan said.
Stage six results
1. Andrea Guardini (Ita) Farnese Vini-Neri Sotttoli
2. Anuar Manan (Mas) Terengganu ProAsia Cycling
3. Takashi Miyazawa (Jpn) Farnese Vini-Neri Sotttoli
4. Mohd Harrif Salleh (Mas) Terengganu ProAsia Cycling
5. Chan Jae Jang (Kor) Korea National Team
6. Andre Schulze (Ger) CCC Polsat Polkowice
7. Robert Forster (Ger) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling
8. Taiji Nishitani (Jpn) Aisan Racing Team
9. Alireza Haghi (IRI) Azad University Cycling Team
10. Zainal Mohd Nur Rizuan (Mas) Malaysia National Team