Premier League - Ferdinand 'strong feelings' in Terry race row

Mon, 31 Oct 15:49:00 2011

After submitting a statement to the Football Association, QPR defender Anton Ferdinand says he has "strong feelings" regarding alleged racist abuse by Chelsea captain John Terry.

Miss a Match? We didn't

Tottenham 3 QPR 1

However, the defender will not be elaborating or making any further public statements until the governing body concludes its investigation into the incident.

On Tuesday, the FA announced that it had launched a probe into allegations that Terry racially abused Ferdinand during last Sunday's west London derby at Loftus Road.

"Today (Monday 31st October 2011) I finalised my statement with the Football Association with regards to the incident that occurred last Sunday at Loftus Road in our Barclays Premier League fixture against Chelsea," Ferdinand said in his statement.

"I have very strong feelings on the matter, but in the interests of fairness and not wishing to prejudice what I am sure will be a very thorough enquiry by the FA, this will be my last comment on the subject until the enquiry is concluded.

"I would like to thank the club, Tony Fernandes, Amit Bhatia, Neil Warnock, the supporters and my fellow professionals for their unwavering support."

Terry denied the allegations in a statement in which he claimed there had been a misunderstanding and he was responding to a perceived accusation from Ferdinand that he had used a racist slur. The statement read: "I thought Anton was accusing me of using a racist slur against him. I responded aggressively, saying that I never used that term."

It continued: "I would never say such a thing and I'm saddened that people would think so. I have known Anton for a long time and spoke to him about it after the game and there was no problem between us."

It is understood Ferdinand does not recall any exchange with Terry in which he accused the England captain of racially abusing him.

Rangers boss Neil Warnock confirmed on Friday Ferdinand had spoken to the FA. QPR owner Tony Fernandes has reiterated that the club fully supported their player.

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas has also said the Chelsea players are behind Terry. He said: "All of the players have been quiet about it because we know what happened. Nothing happened, so there is nothing to discuss."

Both players endured tough afternoons as they returned to action this weekend.

Terry scored but slipped in the run-up to Arsenal's fourth goal as Chelsea lost 5-3 at Stamford Bridge. Ferdinand, meanwhile, was in the QPR team which was overwhelmed in a 3-1 defeat by Tottenham at White Hart Lane.

Eurosport / PA Sport

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account