It is one of art's most profoundly disturbing images, offering an insight into the darkness of the human soul.
Its agonising form speaks of frayed nerves, anxiety and psychic crisis; a tortured form haunted by broken dreams and brutal realities.
So we have no idea why some internet wag chose to Photoshop David Moyes onto Edvard Munch's The Scream on Sunday.
Still, it looked pretty funky.
— ☆ Kitster29™☆ (@kitster29LFC) March 16, 2014
Roasting Moyes has been a favourite pastime on Twitter this season, and the digs show no sign of ending with United lying a lowly seventh in the table.
You know it's bad when you've become a meme:
Lord Moyes pic.twitter.com/t5caCgLoha
— GeniusFootball (@GeniusFootball) March 16, 2014
One prominent City fan on Twitter is predicting an imminent end for Moyes, and a shock name could be in the frame to replace him.
Utd exit the CL and sack Moyes, putting Mick Hucknall in charge for the Mcr Derby. 3-0 Utd. — Macca (@The_Paris_Angel) March 16, 2014
And did you miss this funny banner from the Liverpool fans yesterday?
— Eurosport.com EN (@EurosportCom_EN) March 16, 2014
Elsewhere in the Premier League this weekend, we saw the return of one of the best football cliches.
You know the drill now: as soon as one player spits at another (and that is the accusation being levelled at George Boyd) the points go to the first pundit to claim he'd rather be punched in the face than spat at.
Can this actually be true? Would you rather have a tooth dislodged or an eye damaged than have to wipe a bit of spittle off your coat? Probably not, yet this is now one of football's most enduring and popular pieces of nonsense.
I'd rather be punched than spat at, hope Boyd gets a huge ban!! Pure scum.
— Phil Anderson (@philando89) March 15, 2014
I hope Boyd gets what he deserves for spitting on Hart. Disgusting. I'd rather get knocked out than spat on!
— Chris Johnston (@chrisjonty) March 15, 2014
Not just once in the face, either. Multiple times, according to this guy:
And this critic of Boyd had to have a needless go at the French, for some reason.
George boyd spitting vile not a British thing.wud rather b punched than spat at.sort of thing a Frenchman wud do
— Nick Freedom (@NickFreedom) March 16, 2014
We suspect the following two tweets were rather tongue in cheek though, which is exactly where it would be if you were smacked right in the chops.
I'd rather someone tore out my eyeballs and chewed off my nose than spat at me. — Daniel Harris (@DanielHarris) March 15, 2014
I'd rather have my face clawed off, then my knees smashed with a sledgehammer, then be set on fire and burned to death than be spat on.
— Jamie Tetley (@JamieTetley) March 15, 2014
But this could be one cliche that is on the way out, after ex-pro Danny Higginbotham was called out on Twitter for his use of it....
Hope Boyd gets a lengthy ban. Absolutely disgusting. Spitting on a fellow professional. Would rather be smacked in face. — Danny Higginbotham (@Higginbotham05) March 15, 2014
— Mike Martin (@thefootietweet) March 15, 2014
Meanwhile, one fan appears to have forgotten that Fulham actually got rid of Dimitar Berbatov in January.
No wonder Fulham are going down when they never play Berbatov or Darren Bent
— CT ✌️ (@Chris_Thwaites) March 15, 2014
So, a big team underperforms for 99% of a match, are the victim of bad officiating for the other 1%. Who’s to blame for their defeat? Do you really have to ask?
— B/R Football (@br_football) March 15, 2014
If you think that’s bad, imagine if one fanbase decided to aim their bitterness towards a legendary British cyclist who happens to have a similar name to a referee?
Oh, they have? OK. Imagine if they decided to do it AGAIN?
Chris Hoy has had an absolute stinker today, awful referee
— Chris Munday (@CMunday14) March 15, 2014
What a world we live in.
- Sports & Recreation
- Arts & Entertainment
- David Moyes
- Danny Higginbotham