I know it's really early to start talking about how we'd like the fantasy game to look for the 2008-2009 season but there's a reason to start talking about it now. Corporate budgets, along with things like the time of web developers and graphic designers, are allocated by the financial year. In an ideal world, Yahoo would have enough money and talent to make all desired changes to all parts of its vast network of pages and applications. Sadly, this is not an ideal world and therefore prioritizing and planning in advance is a must.
The powers-that-be at Yahoo will be meeting soon to discuss how to improve the fantasy football experience. In order to send our editor off to those meetings with as much information as possible, we'd like to ask everyone to post the one or two improvements that you'd like to see that would make the most difference to your enjoyment of the game.
Now, before everyone gets started on a rant about things like occasional late or inaccurate posting of points or posting of new players (which I know frustrates us all) - understand that those are operational issues and the best way to minimize their impact is to make sure that we know about them. They don't require changes to the site, just a little research followed by the pushing of a button here or a call to a partner there to fix the problem. The type of change/improvement we'd like to hear from you on has to do with the following types of topics:
- information available to fanasy managers and where it appears
- actions available on specific pages
- entirely new pages or actions that would help you enjoy the experience more
- changes to rules
- visual changes
The above list isn't all-inclusive but hopefully, gives you an idea of what we're asking for help with. Here are a couple examples from my personal list to get you thinking about it:
- I would like to be able to browse for players and see their prices and statistics without having to start the process of selling one of my existing ones.
- In addition to the two graphs available for each player - % of teams owning the player and fantasy points by week - I'd like to see a week-by-week breakdown of who they played, where the game was played, and how they got their points that week
Please submit your thoughts by Friday as the meetings to discuss what will be changed for next season starts next week.
Thank you in advance for your help in making this the best experience it can be, I look forward to sharing some of the improvements as more information is available in 2008.
Cheers - Neal