Inspired by a recent cataclysmic miss in the Spanish league, we run down the 10 worst penalty misses of all time.
the climax of the 2009/10 season in the Spanish second tier,
promotion-chasing Real Betis took on Gimnastic of Tarragona at home
knowing that only a win would be good enough.
Betis were hanging on to a slim 1-0 lead when a late penalty gave them a chance to guarantee all three points.
Up stepped Brazil-born
Turkish international Mehmet Aurelio to do the honours - but instead of
sealing the victory he produced perhaps the worst penalty miss of all
time, slicing high and wide with an inexplicable blunder. Thankfully
for the player, his side hung on to win the match.
You can watch the video below - and to put the miss in context, we've collected a load more of the worst ever penalty misses in the history of the beautiful game.
- - - - -
1. Mehmet Aurelio slices high and wide for Real Betis against Gimnastic in the Spanish second division
2. David Beckham's spectacular miss for England against Portugal
3. Peter Devine stumbles over the ball for Lancaster City against Whitley Bay
4. William of Brazilian side Botafogo doesn't even try against Fluminense
5. When penalties strike back: football in the park turns nasty as penalty kick takes out keeper
6. Roma legend Francesco Totti tries a bit too hard to look cool with his chipped effort
7. Alessandro Del Piero hits it straight down the middle to hand Aston Villa the Peace Cup
8. None for the price of three: Martin Palermo misses three spot-kicks in a single match for Argentina against Colombia
9. Pat Nevin's famous miss for Chelsea against Manchester City in the 1984/85 season
10. And finally, not a miss - but an unbeatable penalty gaffe from a Hungarian cup quarter-final. Defender Pavol Durica of Fehervar steps in to clear after Debrecen striker has his penalty saved... but instead manages to hammer it beautifully into the top corner
- - -
Two more on the subs bench that didn't qualify for the top 10, but just too good to leave out:
- Diana Ross puts a dampener on the opening ceremony of the 1994 World Cup
- Five-a-side smugness punished