- -RATINGS - REAL MADRID: Casillas 7, Pepe 7, Ramos 7, Coentrão 7, Alonso 7, Carvajal 7, Modric 7, Di María 6, Isco 6, Ronaldo 6, Benzema 7. Subs: Varane 6, Bale 7, Illarramendi 6. /// BAYERN MUNICH: Neuer 6, Dante 6, Rafinha 6, Boateng 6, Lahm 7, Alaba 7, Schweinsteiger 7, Kroos 7, Ribéry 6, Robben 7, Mandzukić 6. Subs: Martinez 6, Goetze 6, Muller 6.
- -MOTM: Luka Modric (Real Madrid): The former Spurs midfielder showed glimpses of his attacking threat with some clever passes on the counter, but it was his defensive work that really stood out as Real kept Bayern at bay.
- 90+5'FT: Real 1-0 Bayern. Benzema's 19th minute goal has given Madrid a narrow first-leg lead.
- 90+4'Huge whistles from the crowd as Modric produces a stunning late tackle to block Lahm.
- 90+3'Real defending like lions here... Can they see it out? It's very open now as Bayern throw men forward.
- 90+2'Huge opening for Bayern. Mandzukic nods it down to Muller who tries to turn and goes down under a challenge from Alonso. He's screaming for a penalty but it looks like he just missed his chance. No real contact from Alonso.
- 90+1'Di Maria wins the ball deep in Bayern territory and feeds it into Benzema who attempts a dummy for Bale, but the winger was no where near it.
- 90'Real trying to work the channels to play out time. But they've got four more minutes to deal with. Still time for Bayern...
- 89'It's looking like 10 from 12... STAT: Real Madrid have won nine of their last 11 Champions League games (1 draw, 1 defeat). Their only defeat this season came in their last outing at Dortmund (0-2).
- 88'More direct play by Bale. He is Real's big outlet. The Wales winger drifts down the right and goes up a gear to blow away Dante before fizzing a cross-shot into the side netting.
- 87'Madrid beginning to drop even deeper. There are some tired legs out there.
- 86'Bayern suddenly looking more menacing. The changes have certainly given them a lift.
- 85'SUPERB SAVE! Casillas pulls off a stunning stop to keep out Goetze who fizzes a volley straight at the stopper from eight yards out. That was Bayern's first really big chance of the game. Great save or big miss? Let's give the keeper credit.
- 84'Superb play by Bale as he marauds down the left and scares the life out of Boateng before fizzing a low ball across the six-yard box that Dante gets to ahead of Benzema.
- 83'The Bayern corner, like all of the other set pieces they have had tonight, comes to nothing.
- Real Madrid Substitution
- 82'REAL sub: Isco replaced by Asier Illarramendi.
- 81'CLOSE! Robben and Goetze combine to tee up Muller who sees his 20 yard drive deflect just wide.
- 80'There's a bit of a lull in the proceedings which will suit Real. They seem content with a 1-0 scoreline to take to Munich. But would that be enough? Given the way they capitulated against Dortmund in the second leg of the last eight, you'd think they may need another to take to Germany.
- 79'STAT: Bayern Munich have lost their last five Champions League games at the Bernabeu (includes their defeat in the 2010 final against Inter Milan).
- 78'Bale shows his pace by skipping down the left wing, but his cross is easily swept clear.
- 77'Guardiola is looking very animated on the touchline. He points to his head as if to say 'think' to his players before throwing a bottle of water to the floor in frustration. They have barely created anything all night.
- 76'Still that Benzema goal separates the two sides.
- 75'A sudden flurry of substitutions sees both sides make changes that could well have a big say on the outcome of this game. Can Muller and Goetze give Bayern more cutting edge? Or will Bale's pace prove decisive late on?
- 74'BAYERN sub: Thomas Muller on for Schweinsteiger.
- FC Bayern München Substitution
- 73'REAL sub: Ronaldo, just back from injury, is replaced by Bale.
- Real Madrid Substitution
- Real Madrid Substitution
- 72'REAL sub: The injured Pepe hobbles off and is replaced bu Raphael Varane.
- FC Bayern München Substitution
- 71'BAYERN sub: Mario Goetze on for Ribery.
- 70'Real are readying Bale as Bayern prepare to take another corner. It's worked short but Mandzukic can't make anything of it.
- 69'Madrid can't make anything of the corner and Bayern build again. Some neat play down the right sees Robben and Lahm cause problems with the latter's cross punched clear by an alert Casillas. Fine goalkeeping by Spain's number one.
- 68'GOOD SAVE! Coentrao takes a quick free kick and releases Ronaldo on the left. The Portuguese takes a couple of touches and lashes a low shot towards the near post that Neuer pushes away for a corner.
- 68'Di Maria is given acres of space down the right. A flood of white shirts surge into the area in anticipation but the winger's cross is weak and straight at Dante who brings the ball away.
- 67'BAYERN sub: Rafinha replaced by Javi Martinez.
- FC Bayern München Substitution
- 65'Bayern Munich have beaten Real Madrid eight times (out of 14 games), more than any other side in the Champions League.
- 64'Ronaldo almost releases Benzema but Dante does well to pluck the ball out the air with a deft touch and avert the danger.
- 63'STAT: All seven of Bayern Munich’s goals in this season’s knockout stages of the Champions League have been scored from the 54th minute onwards.
- 62'More twinkling feet from Robben sees him surge at the heart of the Madrid defence but his toe-poked effort is straight at Casillas.
- 62'STAT: 88% of goals conceded by Bayern Munich in the Champions League this season have come in the second-half (7 out of 8).
- 61'A fine delivery by Kroos is brilliantly headed away by Alonso. Great defending by the former Liverpool man.
- 60'Robben bundled over on the far right. Free kick to Bayern. Kroos to take it.
- 59'This game is still waiting to truly ignite. It could well be a case that this is merely the appetiser to next week's main course in Munich.
- 58'Bayern try to catch Madrid out by taking the free kick short, but Kroos hammers his shot way over the bar.
- 57'Isco booked.
- Real Madrid Yellow card
- 57'PHOTO: Benzema celebrates his 19th minute opener.
- 56'Ribery tries to make something of the near post delivery but Casillas punches clear and Bayern have to settle for building again from a deep position.
- 55'Robben surges down the right and looks to have caught Real out. But he delays his cross and has to settle for a corner.
- 54'Carvajal goes down holding his face after a challenge from Alaba. Nothing in it and play will resume. There have been a few meaningless stoppages tonight.
- 53'A corner to Bayern sees two white shirts battle to head it to safety. No Bayern player near that as another set piece comes to nothing.
- 52'PHOTO: The two managers prepare for combat ahead of kick off.
- 51'Benzema is a bit of a lucky charm for Real it would seem.
- 50'Real already enjoying a bit more of the ball in this second period.
- 49'Pepe lands awkwardly after an aerial challenge and is forced to go off for treatment. Real take a free kick that comes to nothing and Pepe returns to the action.
- 48'A mistake by Alaba gifts Ronaldo a sight of goal on the far right of the area. The Portugal star fires a right-foot effort across Neuer, who palms it to safety.
- 47'SNAP: Ancelotti has reached the semi-finals of the Champions League for the fifth time as manager, and for the first time since 2007 (4 with AC Milan, 1 with Real Madrid). And in the other dugout... Guardiola has reached the semi-finals of the Champions League for the fifth time in as many seasons as manager (4 with Barcelona, 1 with Bayern Munich).
- 46'KICK OFF! Real restart the match protecting that 1-0 lead and hoping to extend it.
- 45+2'HT: Real 1-0 Bayern. Benzema's 19th minute strike has given the hosts a lead in a match where Bayern have monopolised possession. But Madrid remain a real threat and both Ronaldo and Di Maria have missed good chances to extend their lead.
- 45+1'Modric fires it in and Neuer puches clear... That's the final action of the half. It's not been a classic but it's definitely intriguing.
- 45'One minute added as Real look to break. It's worked to Ronaldo who sees a low drive deflect for a corner.
- 44'For all of Bayern's dominance, Real could easily be three up. It's so finely poised and we could well be in store for a barnstorming second period as defenders begin to tire on both sides.
- 43'Play is back under way and unsurprisingly, Bayern are on the attack.
- 42'Pepe goes down under pressure from Kroos. Play goes on but the defender stays on the floor and the visitors eventually put it out for him to receive treatment.
- 41'CHANCE FOR REAL! Di Maria chests down Isco's left-wing cross at the far post and volleys a shot way over the bar. Another one goes begging for the hosts.
- 40'Lahm makes a run in behind the Madrid defence but can't quite get there to stab a shot under Casillas.
- 39'Ribery jinks in from the left and tees up Robben who sees a shot blocked by Alonso. Another corner. Real starting to tire at the end of this first period. Can Bayern take advantage?
- 38'Another look at that Ronaldo miss. It could prove very costly for Real...
- 37'To be fair, Robben has been Bayern's most lively attacker thus far. STAT: Robben has scored seven goals and delivered five assists in his last 11 Champions League games.
- 36'Alonso harries Robben and forces the winger to fire a poor cross way over the Real bar. Guardiola shows his frustration on the touchline. It's not going to plan for the former Barca boss.
- 35'PERCENTAGE OF POSSESSION: Real 25 - 75 Bayern.
- 34'Alaba drills a low ball in towards Madzukic but Pepe reads it well and steers it out. Real have looked quite comfortable so far.
- 33'Robben injects some pace into the Bayern attack down the right and wins another corner, but his delivery doesn't get past the near post. Disappointing from the Dutch star.
- 32'Bayern still enjoying all of the ball, but Real could be two up.
- 31'Robben races down the right and crosses towards Mandzukic but Pepe is there to deny the forward a clear header on goal.
- 30'STAT: Bayern Munich have scored in each of their last 15 Champions League games, the longest current run.
- 29'Di Maria clips it into the area and Ronaldo picks up the pieces, but Real can't make anything of it.
- 28'Benzema goes down 40 yards from goal and Ronaldo looks keen, but Di Maria waves him away.
- 27'Guardiola looking pensive as he patrols his technical area. His unbeaten record as a manager at the Bernabeu is under threat.
- 26'REAL MISS! Another stunning counter attack sees Benzema lay a first-time cross from the left into the path of Ronaldo who somehow blasts it over the bar. A big miss and doesn't Ronaldo know it as he screams in frustration.
- 26'More Benzema stats courtesy of @OptaJean on Twitter: "Karim Benzema has scored 36 goals in 62 Champions League games, best ratio of any French player (min. 10 goals). Sacrebleu."
- 25'A Bayern corner is met by the head of Dante but it's easy for Iker Casillas.
- 24'Real Madrid have scored the most goals in this season’s Champions League. 29 of the 33 netted by the Merengues have come from open play. However, Madrid have also conceded more goals than any of the four teams left in this season’s competition (9).
- 23'Bayern caught out again as Real work a counter down the right into the path of Di Maria who fires straight at Neuer from 25 yards.
- 22'Nice stat.
- 21'Bayern looking for a quick response with a crescendo of jubilant Spanish voices singing in their ears.
- 20'What a sucker punch for Bayern, who have bossed this from the start. Ancelotti will feel his tactics are working a treat!
- 19'GOAL! REAL 1-0 BAYERN. A lightning Real counter sees Ronaldo pick out the overlapping Fabio Coentrao on the left side of the area. The Portuguese full-back does brilliantly to drill a low ball across the six-yard box, allowing Benzema to coolly convert.
- Real Madrid Goal
Right Footed - Bottom Right
- 17'Carvajal barges into the back of Mandzukic on the left-hand touchline. It was a needless foul and referee Webb is keen to have a quick word with the Real defender. No card shown, but you wouldn't bet against him going in the book with his next foul.
- 16'Finally a spell of possession for Real sees Benzema get a chance to stretch his legs on the left side of the area, but he's flagged offside. Better from the hosts.
- 15'Yet another Bayern corner is fired to the back post but again, Real deal with it comfortably.
- 14'Real manage to clear the corner but the ball comes right back at them. Robben manufactures some space on the edge of the box and lets fly with a shot that arrows just wide.
- 13'Ribery and David Alaba combine down the left and the latter wins another corner. This really is one-way traffics so far.
- 12'The pattern continues with Bayern switching the play from one wing to the other. Real staying compact and sitting deep.
- 11'Mandzukic wins the header at the far post but Real get to it first and clear their lines.
- 10'Ten minutes in and there's no doubt Bayern have settled fastest. Another corner to the visitors.
- 9'The Real fans have pulled out all of the stops tonight. Can their team match them?
- 8'STAT: Ancelotti has never lost against Bayern Munich as manager in the Champions League (4 wins, 2 draws all with AC Milan).
- 7'Real conceding a lot of possession to the visitors. A few nervy touches out there for the home side.
- 6'Robben weaves his way past two on the right and tucks it back to Kroos who drags his shot from the edge of the box, allowing Ramos to block.
- 5'The first corner of the match is won by Robben. Chance for Kroos to whip it in... headed clear by Pepe.
- 4'Bayern having a lot of the ball early on. Madrid seem happy to wait for an opportunity on the counter attack.
- 3'Tonight's referee is England's Howard Webb.
- 2'Former Norway striker, Jan Aage Fjortoft was bowled over by the atmosphere prior to kick off.
- 1'KICK OFF! Bayern get the game Europe has dubbed 'the night of the champions' underway. The Bernabeu looks quite sensational.
- 19.40It's almost time for that spine-tingling anthem. Will Real move a step closer to a first final appearance in 12 years? Or will Bayern edge towards the historic feat of being the first side to retain the trophy in the CL format? It's a tough one to call, but I'd suggest we can expect goals!
- 19.36Official UEFA teamsheet.
- 19.35Need any further proof this is a clash of the titans?
- 19.30STAT: Real Madrid have won 15 of their last 17 Champions League games at the Santiago Bernabeu (2 draws). Their last home defeat dates back to April 2011 v Barcelona. And Los Blancos have not failed to score in any of those 17 games, netting 55 goals in the process (an average of 3.2/game).
- 19.25The Real players received some reception en route to the stadium. The fans are desperate for La Decima. It's become an obsession in Madrid. Will it be their year this time? The 2002 triumph and that stunning volley from Zinedine Zidane must seem like a lifetime ago now...
- 19.21Not long now...
- 19.20STAT: Real Madrid and Bayern Munich have met each other 14 times in the Champions League. This first-leg game will equal the record for most frequent encounter in the competition (15 between Barcelona and AC Milan).
- 19.17Who is walking the disciplinary tightrope tonight?
- 19.16TACTICS: It'll be a 4-3-3 for Real, with Angel Di Maria and Ronaldo supporting Karim Benzema through the middle. Bayern go with their favoured 4-2-3-1. Philipp Lahm will feature in midfield alongside Bastian Schweinsteiger with Toni Kroos, Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben supporting the lone front man in Mario Mandzukic. Rafinha starts at right back. Interestingly, Bayern have two keepers on the bench - concerns over Neuer still?
- 19.15The calm before the storm? The Bernabeu looks immaculate.
- 19.10Pep Guardiola: "In 27 games we conceded 13 goals and then seven in our next three matches after that, so our focus dropped a bit because we had already won the league. Normally, when you win a title, you lose your desire and focus a little. That is why I am so proud of my team, because last year they won everything and the coach changed and they accepted my little changes and this year we have won the Bundesliga, we are in final of the cup and semi-finals of the Champions League."
- 19.05Carlo Ancelotti: "The really decisive game is next Tuesday in Munich. We need to show a strong work ethic and control the game in order to show our quality. I can’t say that getting to the semi-finals has been a success. The target in this competition is always to reach the final. We are still not there. We need to fight for 180 minutes against a strong team. Reaching the semi-finals is not a success but a team who reaches four in a row isn't doing badly."
- 19.00Xabi Alonso will feature in his seventh CL semi final and his fourth with Real Madrid tonight - but he has yet to make that step to the final with Los Blancos. Speaking to the media ahead of the contest, the midfielder was keen to avoid making any bold predictions. He said: "We need the involvement of the entire team. At this point it is very important to attack and defend in a block... Bayern are a great team but we are in good form at the moment and nobody is favourite."
- 18.55So far this season: Real Madrid Pld 52, W41, L5, F121, A36, Win percentage: 79%. /// Bayern Munich Pld 49, W39, L4, F133, A33, Win percentage: 80%.
- 18.52Pep Guardiola has some record against Real Madrid. In seven matches as an opposing manager at the Bernabeu, he has won five and drawn two.
- 18.50The atmosphere is cranking up a notch in the Spanish capital.
- 18.45Bayern midfielder and Spain star, Javi Martinez (on the bench tonight) reckons Bale has taken Real to a new level this season - so he'll be delighted to hear that the Welsh wizard is only well enough to take a place amongst the subs.Liga - Martinez: Bale has made Real what they are this year
Javi Martinez believes Gareth Bale is the difference between Real Madrid this year and last year’s team.
- 18.42TEAMS - REAL MADRID: Casillas, Pepe, Ramos, Coentrão, Ronaldo, Benzema, Alonso, Carvajal, Modric, Di María, Isco... Subs: Diego López, Varane, Bale, Marcelo, Casemiro, Morata, Illarra. /// BAYERN MUNICH: Neuer, Dante, Rafinha, Boateng, Lahm, Alaba, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Ribéry, Robben, Mandzukić... Subs: Raeder, Zingerle, Martínez, Pizarro, Götze, Weiser, Müller.
- 18.41BREAKING: Ronaldo starts, Bale on the bench (flu)... Manuel Neuer is also involved for Bayern after shrugging off a calf injury.
- 18.40Good evening and welcome to LIVE text coverage of the Champions League, semi-final, first-leg between Real Madrid and Bayern Munich at the Bernabeu. It's 'the night of the champions' where the nine times winners face the current holders and five times winners in what has all the ingredients to be one of the matches of the season.
Á. Di MaríaDFP