- 90+4'FULL-TIME: SOUTHAMPTON 1-0 LIVERPOOL
- 90+4'The referee ends the contest.
- 90+3'Coutinho collects on the left and curls a cross towards the back post, but Forster comes through a crowd of players to clear the danger.
- 90+2'Coutinho is allowed to cut in from the right and he fires an effort towards the target. However, his strike sails harmlessly over the bar.
- 90+1'Yoshida continues his excellent performance by heading clear Lallana's cross into the box and his team-mates rally around the ensure the ball remains out of the box.
- 90'There will be four minutes of added time.
- 89'It's all hands on deck for the Saints at the back as the visitors are piling men forward. On the other hand there may be space on the break for the home side to add a second goal.
- 87'Liverpool are putting the pressure on the home side late in the game, although they have to be careful not to concede again.
- 85'OVER! Sturridge collects 25 yards from goal and he lines up a strike towards the net, but can only fire his effort over the bar.
- 83'Firmino makes way for Origi.
- 83'OFF THE BAR! Redmond misses another opportunity as Long capitalises on a slip by Lucas at the back. His cross finds Redmond at the back post and he lobs the ball over Karius, but the bar and Lovren come to Liverpool's rescue.
- 83'Substitution Roberto Firmino Barbosa de Oliveira Divock Okoth Origi
- Liverpool Substitution
- 82'Long replaces Rodriguez, who put in a good shift this evening.
- 82'Ward-Prowse replaces Davis in the middle of the park.
- Southampton Substitution
- 82'Substitution Steven Davis James Ward-Prowse
- 82'Substitution Jay Rodriguez Shane Long
- Southampton Substitution
- 81'Rodriguez heads into the book.
- 81'Yellow card Jay Rodriguez
- 79'Rodriguez breaks on the ball and tries to shoot first time, but he scuffs his strike wide of the post. Not a lot of clean hitting from distance this evening.
- 78'OVER! Clyne raids down the right flank and cuts the ball back to Coutinho. He takes the shot on first time, but can only blaze his effort over the bar.
- 77'The Reds string together a series of passes on the edge of the box, but Lallana's attempted pass to Milner heads straight out for a goal-kick.
- 76'Liverpool are controlling possession, but have lacked the killer pass to break in behind the Saints' defence. The home side have been well organised at the back this evening.
- 74'Sturridge has been given instructions by Klopp on a piece of paper and is desperately tracking down his team-mates to show them the note. However, they don't seem to be too interested in reading it at the moment.
- 73'Hojbjerg replaces Clasie, who has succumbed to an injury.
- 73'Substitution Jordy Clasie Pierre-Emile Højbjerg
- Southampton Substitution
- 71'Rodriguez releases Bertrand into the left inside channel with a clever backheel. The defender opts against crossing for Redmond at the back post and tries to find Davis, but Klavan makes an important block.
- 70'The referee is not endearing himself to the home fans. He does award a free-kick as Lucas blocks off Romeu on the charge, but fails to book the Brazilian.
- 68'Lovren has to make a vital interception at the back as Davis' pass almost released the run of Tadic down the left, but the Liverpool defender was on hand to cut out the danger.
- 66'CHANCE! Southampton break on the counter and Redmond has Rodriguez and Cedric in support. He threads through the Portuguese, who goes for goal rather than crossing for his team-mate, but only hammer his effort into the side-netting.
- 65'Tadic is harshly booked for going to ground when it appeared Clyne had hold of his shirt.
- 63'Liverpool are beginning to find space in the final third and Milner's raid forward is only halted by the offside flag.
- Liverpool Substitution
- 61'Coutinho replaces Wijnaldum, who has been poor this evening, to make his first appearance since November.
- 61'Substitution Georginio Wijnaldum Philippe Coutinho Correia
- 60'SAVE! Lallana and Firmino combine on the edge of the box to allow the Brazilian to strike at goal. However, his effort is tame and straight at Forster, who saves with ease.
- 59'WIDE! Lallana collects in space on the edge of the box and fires at goal, but he scuffs his strike and it trickles well wide of the target.
- 58'The Saints continue to find space in the final third and Davis pokes the ball forward for Tadic to race on to, but Karius wins the race to gather inside the box.
- 56'Lallana threads the ball through to Sturridge inside the box and he competes with Van Dijk before going to ground. He looks at the referee, but does not get the decision.
- 54'Van Dijk wins the ball deep in the Liverpool half and he skips past a half-hearted challenge from Sturridge. The Dutchman attempts to fire the ball across the face of goal, but Karius collects at his near post.
- 53'Rodriguez leads Southampton on a counter and he does well to pick out Tadic on a surge down the left. He whips the ball towards the near post for the forward, but Klavan clears well ahead of Saints man.
- 51'Lallana gives the ball away in the middle of the park and Clasie feeds Tadic on the edge of the box, only for the winger to get brought down. However, the referee waves play on.
- 49'Karius comes for the resulting cross and fails to make a convincing punch as it travels behind. It should be another corner for the home side, but the referee awards a goal-kick.
- 48'BLOCK! Tadic strikes the ball with power and Milner gets his head in the way to divert the ball over the bar for a corner.
- 47'Milner brings down Cedric on the right after two attempts of trying to win the ball. The Saints have a free-kick in a dangerous position.
- 46'We're back underway in this EFL Cup contest.
- 45+1'The players are making their way back out on to the pitch, so we should be underway again shortly.
- 45+1'Liverpool have been poor all over the pitch as they've lacked a clinical edge in the final third, while they've been cut open too easily at the back. That will concern Klopp and may prompt changes at the break.
- 45+1'Southampton lead Liverpool at the break, but should perhaps be further ahead as Nathan Redmond missed two good chances, despite putting his side ahead. The Saints could be sitting in a commanding position in the tie if he had found the net, but are still on top this evening.
- 45+1'HALF-TIME: SOUTHAMPTON 1-0 LIVERPOOL
- 45+1'The referee brings the first half to an end.
- 45'There will be one minute of added time.
- 45'Klavan makes an important intervention at the back to stop Rodriguez raided forward after he had latched onto Tadic's pass. Liverpool have been so open at the back this evening.
- 44'SAVE! Redmond misses a huge opportunity to double his side's lead as the Reds allow Tadic to squeeze a cross to the back post. The forward swings his left foot at the ball, but he can only fire his strike straight at Karius, who makes a smart reaction stop.
- 44'SAVE! Redmond misses a huge opportunity to double his side's lead as the Reds allow Tadic to squeeze a cross to the back post. The forward swings his left foot at the ball, but he can only fire his strike straight at Karuius, who makes a smart reaction stop.
- 42'Lallana attempts to send Firmino down the flank, but Van Dijk tracks his run all the way and clears with authority .
- 41'Southampton are beginning to control the tempo of the game, slowing the pace down to keep their shape. Klopp's men face a challenge to get back into this one tonight.
- 39'Can attempts to slide a throughball into the channel for Sturridge's run, but the forward cannot control it as the ball trickles out for a goal-kick.
- 37'Clasie tests the handling ablity of Karius as he volleys at goal from distance, but the keeper watches the ball safely into his hands.
- 36'SHOT! Rodriguez is allowed to turn on the edge of the box, but his effort is deflected wide of the post by Lovren. The Saints have not had much possession, but are a threat in the final third.
- 35'Sturridge has been a spectator thus far in the match as the Saints are doing an impressive job of stopping the supply to his feet. Klopp may need to reconfigure his tactics to bring the England man into the game.
- 33'Cedric and Lucas are at it again down the right flank at the opposite end of the pitch this time. The Brazilian catches the defender on his follow through, but the referee waves play on, much to the fury of the home supporters.
- 31'Liverpool win a free-kick on the right and Milner sends the ball into the box. Lucas goes down in the area, but the referee waves play on and then brings down Rodriguez on the flank. The Brazilian did not look too happy with the official after missing an apparent foul by Cedric.
- 29'Milner sends the ball in from the left and Lovren almost makes contact with a header at the near post, but Van Dijk and Foster combine to clear the ball.
- 28'Lucas sends a deep ball over the top looking for Milner down the flank. Cedric is put in an awkward position, forcing him to put the ball behind for a corner.
- 26'The Reds break forward with pace and Lallana performs a clever bit of skill on the edge of the box to pick out Milner's run in the inside left channel. He shoots first time when he receives the ball, but Cedric is back to make the block.
- 23'Liverpool were in the ascendency until they were caught on the break by the Saints. They've done that a lot this season, but have the players in the final third to get back on track.
- 22'That goal from Redmond was his first in 15 matches in all competitions. A run which stretched back until October 23.
- Southampton Goal
- 20'Rodriguez collects the ball on the edge of the box before laying it into the path of Redmond to score.
- 20'GOALLL!!!! REDMOND FIRES SOUTHAMPTON AHEAD! A minute after missing a decent chance Redmond fires the ball past Karius, capitalising on a shocking error from Klavan. The defender missed his kick from Tadic's throughball, and Rodriguez was able to play in his team-mate before he held his nerve to find the net.
- 20'Assist Jay Rodriguez
- 20'Goal Nathan Redmond
- 19'CHANCE! Southampton cut the Reds open down the right as Cedric surges forward. His cross evades Davis by a fraction, but Redmond collects at the back post. He takes a touch to get the ball on to his right foot, only for Karius to make a smart stop with his leg.
- 18'CHANCE! Lallana knocks a deep cross back into the path of Firmino and the Brazilian unleashes a powerful strike at goal. Forster reads the danger and turns the effort with a fine reaction save to keep the scores level.
- 16'Tadic raids down the right flank and cuts back on to his left foot to fire a cross into the box. There are plenty of men forward, but the winger's cross has too much height on it, allowing Karius to claim.
- 15'The Reds test the home side's defence with a series of crosses into the box, but the Saints hold firm to clear the danger away from the penalty area.
- 13'Liverpool are using the ball well in the middle of the park thus far, but are struggling to bring Sturridge into the game through the middle.
- 11'The game has settled into a rhythm, with the visitors enjoying the majority of possession thus far. However, neither side has mustered a meaningful effort at goal.
- 9'Van Dijk causes concern on the Southampton bench as he goes down clutching his back. However, he appears to be ok to continue without treatment.
- 7'Liverpool press through Clyne, who is afforded space and time on the edge of the box. He shoots with power, but this time Romeu makes the block to stop the shot reaching goal.
- 5'Firmino raids forward to the edge of the box, but his powerful strike is blocked by Van Dijk before the Saints clear the danger.
- 4'Redmond sends a low ball into the box from the right flank and the ball deflects off the heel of Lovren to bounce towards goal. However, Karius is alert and makes the stop with ease.
- 3'Redmond gives the ball away in midfield and it allows Liverpool to break forward. Sturridge arcs a cross to Can in the box, but the midfielder gets crowded out as he tries to create room for an effort at goal.
- 1'Van Dijk sends an inviting ball over the top of the Liverpool defence for Redmond, but his cross just has too much pace for the forward to control.
- 1'We're underway at St Mary's Stadium.
- 0'Jurgen Klopp gave many of his players a much-needed rest in their FA Cup clash against Plymouth Argyle at the weekend. Unfortunately for the Reds their young players were unable to see off the League Two outfit in their goalless draw at Anfield, adding to their fixture list.
- 0'Puel made several changes to his side at the weekend, but has brought the majority of his starters back into the fold. Fraser Forster, Cedric Soares, Nathan Redmond, Steven Davis and Jay Rodriguez are among the players to return.
- 0'Southampton have opted to leave captain Jose Fonte out of their squad this evening after the Portuguese defender handed in a transfer request. Maya Yoshida takes his place alongside Van Dijk.
- 0'The players are making their way out on to the pitch, so we should be underway shortly.
- 0'The bigger news for the Reds is that Philippe Coutinho has returned to the bench for the first time since sustaining an ankle injury in November.
- 0'Klopp has also made eight changes with the key men returning to action, although he has kept faith with Loris Karius between the sticks. Adam Lallana, Daniel Sturridge and Roberto Firmino lead the line this evening.
- 0'Puel made several changes to his side at the weekend, but has brought the majority of his starters back into the fold. Fraser Forster, Cedric Soares, Nathan Redmond, Steven Davis and Jay Rodrgiuez are among the players to return.
- 0'Liverpool subs: Coutinho, Gomez, Moreno, Mignolet, Origi, Stewart, Woodburn.
- 0'LIVERPOOL (4-3-3): Karius; Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Milner; Lucas, Can, Wijnaldum; Lallana, Sturridge, Firmino.
- 0'Southampton subs: Long, Ward-Prowse, Hojbjerg, Stephens. McQueen, Sims, Lewis.
- 0'SOUTHAMPTON (4-3-3): Forster; Cedric, Yoshida, Van Dijk, Bertrand; Clasie, Romeu, Davis; Tadic, Rodriguez, Redmond.
- 0'The team news has been announced and we'll start with the home side.
- 0'Liverpool reached the final of the EFL Cup last season where they were beaten on penalties by Manchester City. Klopp will be determined to go on better this time around and to ensure that he will want a strong start to the semi-finals tonight.
- 0'Jurgen Klopp gave many of his players a much-needed rest in their FA Cup clash against Plymouth Argyle at the weekend. Unfortunately for the Reds their young plauyers were unable to see off the League Two outfit in their goalless draw at Anfield, adding to their fixture list.
- 0'Pressure has been raised on Claude Puel despite his side's run in the EFL Cup where they defeated Arsenal in the last round to advance to the semis. A strong display this evening could spark them back into life and give the Saints an excellent chance to reach the final.
- 0'The Saints are in need of a performance this evening after failing to win their last four matches in all competitions, including three defeats on the spin in the Premier League.
- 0'Good evening and welcome to the live commentary of the EFL Cup semi-final first leg clash between Southampton and Liverpool at St Mary's Stadium.
V. van DijkDFP