Formerly known as county ground it was established in 1878. With a capacity of 12000, it hosted its first ODI between India and Zimbabwe on June 11, 1983. But the first ever match was played on April 22, 1878 and three months later the venue staged a game against the touring Australians. The county was too far from the town centre and was not economically viable and it was shifted to the central Aylestone Road in 1901. Leicestershire reacquired the ground in 1966 and then the redevelopment and transformation of the ground took place.