A small ground with a seating capacity of 4000 it was established in 1872. But it has been the centre of cricket in the county since 1791, when a piece of land was gifted to the local cricketers by Prince Regent. The Sussex County Club is the oldest existing county club in England. The pavilion is large and has grown as needs demanded. It consists of various levels of balconies, odd stairways and a steeply banked seating terrace giving a square to the wicket view. The walls inside are covered with photographs and a glass case displays the early equipment of Joe Vine, Harry Butt and other famous names from the past. It is truly a cricket treasure house and often when looking for a particular item one finds something quite unexpectedly interesting. The first ODI was played here during the 1999 World Cup between India and South Africa. The ground slopes slightly towards the sea and a ball from this end can sometimes get lost against the stand. This, and the sea fret which makes the ball swing and dip, can bring early thrills on a green wicket but too often when the life is gone it becomes so very placid.