• Chelsea Message Board

  • A Yahoo! User Nov 30, 2008 18:39 Flag

    Warning On Lynx Deodorant

     

    BREAKING NEWS

    Boy Died After Spraying Deodorant

    A 12-year-old boy died when his heart failed after he sprayed on too much deodorant, an inquest has been told. Skip related content

    RELATED PHOTOS / VIDEOS
    Boy Died After Spraying Deodorant
    Daniel Hurley, from Sandiacre, Derbyshire, was found collapsed in his bathroom by his father Robert Hurley after using Lynx Vice deodorant.

    Derby Coroner's Court heard that use of the spray in a confined space led to Daniel suffering a cardiac arrhythmia.

    Mr Hurley tried to revive his son but he died at the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham on January 12, five days after he was found.

    Mr Hurley told the inquest: "He was always putting gel on his hair and spraying deodorant and it was quite common for him to spray his clothing as well.

    "The bathroom is adjacent to the kitchen and I made some tea and shouted into the bathroom to see if he was OK.

    "I heard nothing so I shouted again but did not get a reply. I forced the door open and found Daniel in the bath."

    Consultant pathologist Dr Andrew Hitchcock, who carried out the post mortem examination on Daniel, told the inquest there was no evidence he had abused alcohol or drugs.

    Derby and South Derbyshire Coroner Dr Robert Hunter said manufacturer Unilever provided adequate warnings on cans of the deodorant that large amounts should not be used in a confined space.

    He said: "It seems the presence of a volatile agent caused the cardiac arrhythmia. Daniel copiously used deodorant in the bathroom.

    "I do not know how many people read the warnings about exposure awareness.

    "But people need to know about the risks that these products have on the cardio-vascular system."

    He recorded a verdict of accidental death.

    Stay safe, Bert "cuffy" Merries

    This topic is deleted.
    SortNewest  |  Oldest  |  Most Replied Expand all replies