Leeds United Message Board
Hi Guys, What would your wishlist be this New Year regarding transfers lets be realistic as well, this should be a team that will see us through to the end of the season, mine is: GK - McCarthy, LB - Pugh, RB - Naughton, CB - Lees, CB - Boyata, LM - Roberts(Hudds) RM - Snodgrass, CM - Clayton, CM - Howson, ST - Macheda, ST - Sharp.
Your correct Andy but I understand that is a minor hamstring tear and could be only a couple of games at the most. The major plus is that Snoddy and Howson will hopefully now disappear from the January transfer board.Every cloud has a silver lining as they say.
Smudge, I started a similar thread (see copy of post below) without getting much response. Yours is different in naming specific targets. I will have to give this more thought but, as with other transfer rumour threads, Leeds never sign the players we imagine it will.
The obvious wish for Leeds fans in 2012 is promotion – earned through outstanding play. However, miracles aside, given our stuttering performances so far this season, we need a specific wish list for January. Here is mine:
1. A replacement for Max Gradel - We need a tricky winger with pace and the ability to run at defenders. Letting Mad Max go was a big mistake, as our remaining players do not provide the same threat. Sam is looking off the pace and lacking confidence. Snoddy is tricky but has no pace. White is good at running the line but he is not a skilled dribbler. Nunez is not a winger. Keogh and McCormack are good at hustling in the box but not at wide play.
2. A creative, defensive midfielder, preferably with a bit of pace, who can control the centre of the park – someone to play alongside Clayton/Howson, a play maker, with the authority to insist that the ball is played through midfield and not lobbed up the pitch – I am still wondering why Larry has not used Vayrynen in this role!
3. A Captain who can motivate and organise the side – someone as described in wish #2
4. A fit Eric Lichaj as our first choice Right Back – Connolly has done okay in this position but lacks the pace to complement White on the other side.
5. A big Centre Back to play alongside Lees – Kissa is struggling for form and, although a brilliant header of the ball, his jumps are mistimed. O’Dea has a better understanding/partnership with Lees, but I think we need more height in our defence.
6. Alex McCarthy signed as a back-up goalkeeper.
7. Match officials recognising that we are no longer “Dirty Leeds” and giving us a fair shout when they make game-changing decisions.
8. Match day ticket prices designed to encourage young fans to join the LUFC family and secure its future
9. Simon Grayson with more tactical nous, less predictability, the full support of the Club/dressing room, and the confidence to use all the players in the squad in their right positions without fear or favour.
10. Ken Bates taking a back seat - supporting Leeds with investment in the playing side of the Club, instead of using it as a platform to air his controversial views, and finding a ‘successor’ (a la Roman Abromovich) who can actually return Leeds to greatness.
I would like to hear how my wish list tallies with yours.
- 1 Reply to Andrew
Yes I agree with pace being an issue rumours are Puncheon is virtually signed which hopefully goes to solving that issue,Vayrynen i cannot understand why he isn't getting a chance after the display of the midfield in previous weeks whether he's not trying hard enough in training, captain has to be somebody who the team looks up to and personally i don't think some of the older lads do with Howson, maybe Smith but would he come on £10,000 a week? Right Back basically were poor needs changing drastically the same with the centre half Lees I like but he is having to do a job by himself at the moment i'd like to get some man mountain, Alex McCarthy is exceptional and I'd move heaven and earth to sign him but don't think we would get him, Grayson and Bates just need to be reading from the same hymn sheet, we need premier league football not championship but at prem prices, we could do with looking at reducing the gate prices to encourage kids to come as well.
I'd go for your namesake a fit Smudger, I think he would bring that passion that is missing a bit of Leeds bite. We need a pacey centre half, a pacey right back, a Sheridan to help unlock a defence, another pacey tricky winger, and a pacey forward. There you go I think we lack pace! M.O.T