Arsenal Message Board
Would be interested in hearing some gooners opinions on their top 5 arsenal players that they have had the privilege of seeing play? I.e Dont say cliff bastin if you were born in the 80's!
1. Dennis (two words "fucking class")
2. Henry. Top ever scorer and I dont think we'll ever see as talented a player at the emirates in our life time, then fucked off and broke our hearts
3. Le Bob. Controversial to many perhaps but I loved him and I think many agree with me, practically half the stadium stayed behind at the final whistle against Villareal to sing "super bob" til he'd left the pitch and thoroughly deserved, an utter legend!
4. Ray Parlour. "substance over style?" not in my opinion, he actually had bags of skill to go with a great attitude and work ethic, never moaned, just got on with it? great player, the Romford Pele
5. Lee Dixon. 24 years, not far off 500 appearances and 4 titles, what more could you want? Our best ever right back IMO
Acknowledgment has to go to Liam Brady, he didnt make my list as i hadnt been born by the time he'd left but iv seen the videos and I know that the older gooners amongst us hold him in the highest regard. Here's a good vid
In no particular order
George Armstrong (his cross at WHL the night we clinched the 70/71 League title)
DB10 he was just magic
Charlie George (his goal against Liverpool won us our first double)
King Charlie Nicholas
Big Frank Maclintock and = Toney (the donkey) Adams
SLAP ME SOME SKIN DUDE!
Ok, ok, i,ll admit, since the early 90,s i have dyed my "Sunderland Afro" purple with a gold streak, but that was only to match my velvet strides!
Other tahn that, its STILL ALL 1979!
In no particular order:
- Ray Kennedy
- Monsieur Va va Voom
- the bloke with the big hair who scored the winner in the 3-2 cup final. (Sunderland, 1978?)
- Bergkamp, but I still hate him for the goal against England
- Ashley Cole, obviously
Of All Time !
1 )Ted Drake - Scored all 7 against Villa in a 1 - 7 win. Still an Arsenal historic record.
2 )Ray Kennedy - Scored the winner against Spurs to win the Championship 1971. 0 - 1
3 )Charlie George - and his FA cup winner against Liverpool.
4 )Liam Brady - 'Chip it over them Chippy'
5 )Dennis Bergkamp - The incomparable Menace.
The likes of these we will never see again.
1. Dennis - let's be honest he kicked the whole thing off and Wenger took that much further.
2. Rocky - for sentimental reasons.
3. Pires - I actually think he was under-rated.
4. Adams - Mr.Arsenal. Unfortunately now Mr. Prozac.
- 2 Replies to Swerve
Ah Kenny Sansom THE MOOOOOSE TASH which was pre Seaman tash! (that sounds as if it would be more at home on the United board)
Remember Kenny was brought after we had just bought and sold Clive Allen!
I was on holiday when we signed Clive and jumpe with joy at the time i remember, thinking about it, i was probably STILL on holiday when we sold him!
What WAS all that about? was it to fund the Sansom signing or what? i was too young to take notice of all the ins and outs of the situation.
Swerve - you were a Sansom fan??
No doubt he is an Arsenal great, but I always found him a bit cold, hard to like. There was just something there that I found difficult to get past from a personal point of view. I respected him enormously, but just could never "like" him if you know what I mean?
Good call on Rocastle, and great comment about Adams.
Blimey only 5? I could name 105. Maybe that is stretching things a bit though...
1. Liam Brady
2. Kenny Sansom
3. Ian Wright
4. Dennis Bergkamp
5. Thierry Henry
Apologies to Merse, Spunky, Donkey, SuperSwede, Vieira etc!
- View More Messages