Liverpool Message Board
It's not really time to start talking about moves, and the summer just yet, and I feel bad talking about teams who might go down, though if Stoke were there, I'd help in any way that I could for them to carry on in the Championship... So, anyways, without assuming, just looking at the bottom area, who, if any would you like at LFC?
- Benteke from Aston Villa.. I think he's this season's version of Demba Ba 3 seasons ago at West Ham as that big, skilled, talented striker as a no name. I actually think he's got much more pace, he's younger and he looks like a 15+ goal player. He'd be an excellent alternate striker, and suit the plan B thing, though quick enough to play any style.. I do like him.
- Our boy, Gaston Ramirez .. obviously the bullcrap his agent pulled in the summer, turning his head to go there for a higher salary is enough to say p1ss off, BUT, they paid around 11M, and if it happened, he could be availble for 5-6M. He's perfect for the right attacking wing, only 22, 6 feet tall with experience as a lead striker / #10, and he's done well for missing time with 4 goals and 3 assists.
- QPR - Samba perhaps? Not sure he could adapt to our passing style, but he's obviously that big powerful CB we could use, and threatening on set plays.. Loic Remy up front and Mbia in the middle would be interesting.. I think all these guys are spoiled by insane salaries and are stuck there, or headed for very rich clubs..
- I'm not sure they'll hang so close to the bottom, but if so, I'd raid Newcastle / Chateau St James for Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Santon, Coloccini, and Sissoko who's a beast. I'd say Tiote, but for as good as he is, I find him too card happy and a walking red card..
- Norwich .. Grant Holt as an inexpensive, experienced goal scorer who's good in the air, plan B type
Anyone else worth mentioning? I actually really would be happy to have Benteke and Ramirez, regardless if their profile is associated with a relegation side..
Not exactly from the bottom of the prem, but wondered if anyone else saw the Blackburn vs Millwall match yesterday, and whether Scott Dann would be of consideration.
I know there is a gulf between the prem and championship, however while I've not really watched him much, judging on yesterday where imo he was easily man of the match he's too good to play in the championship and with Blackburn not bouncing back up to the prem, could definitely be on the move this summer. He may not also be the quality some want, but I do remember him being talked about as a potential player a while back when he was with Birmingham, so many did not think he was far from the mark back then. Also what are we really after in the back?
For me we already have two quality CB's in Skrtel and Agger, and one with potential in Coates. But what we're missing imo is a natural leader and someone with passion and steel in his blood. From what I saw yesterday he's got that, and as a local lad is likely to fit in well and maybe bring us something we will lose once Cara hangs up the boots.,
It is very tricky to say because all 3 teams that are down there are well capable of getting out of it, starting from the bottom, I would take the following!
QPR: Julio Cesar, if Reina was to go, he would do us a job no probs! Samba, no brainer. Wouldnt be upset with Granero either!
Reading: Nothing thanks! Maybe a little Le Fondre super sub action?!
Villa: Benteke seems the obvious candidate, not sure I fancy much else they have there!
Wigan: Kone could be a tidy striking option, likewise, Di Santo is a decent player. Figueroa as a back up left back? Al Habsi has had a bad season but is still a keeper I like.
Southampton: Gaston is a no brainer, Luke Shaw is probably the most useful asset for us down there, great left back in the making.
- 1 Reply to Hobitez
Decent call on Figeuroa, though I think BR is good at unearthing some hidden gems, and based on how he played vs us at DW the other day, I'm not sure he could even handle training, but I did mean to mention Di Santo, but the more I think about him is, promise and growing, but sort of a waste when we can certainly add someone better..
A little surprised to hear Cesar, maybe we've seen different matches, but any QPR match shown here where he's played, he's been the brunt of mockery and questioned on how he's even an EPL keeper.. I think he got yanked last week at half time for Green. From what I've seen, he's been abysmal, so again maybe you saw a good game or run I missed, but I'd actually bet he's off back to Italy or a return to Brazil.. he doesn't come out well, not commanding, not physical, and drops/parries gimmes.. The way Reina played vs Wigan was reminiscent of the gold glove winner we all knew and loved, and I'd love to keep that guy
The one name that we all seem to like, and the more and more I think about it, is one we really outta just buy.. Benteke! He looked as if at any moment if he could get the right ball vs City, he would have broken loose, and always menaced them on any chance he did have. I am very impressed with his pace and technical ability for a player of his size, and put it this way, if he ended up at Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Spurs he'd be a prominent striker. He seems to have alot of upside, and a year under his belt in the prem will have done wonders and I think he could be a 15-20 goal player. I like him alot.
Obviously if we have a chance for Damaio or someone else of that calibre, I wouldn't say no, but I think we have alot of needs all over, and Benteke fits all the criteria for our profile, IMO..
For me, it's muscle all the way this summer.
CB - Samba all the way. We need one other as well
CM - Diame, but I think we should have another attacking CM. Eriksen would fit the bill! Obviously not Premier league, and Ramirez is a cracking player.
S - Benteke is a good call, but I also quite like Moussa Sow of Fenerbahce as back up.
We also need a LB - nobody in the CL stands out for me.
- 1 Reply to Loki
Yea if we start going elsewhere in Europe and talking summer, these wouldn't necessarily be top of the list, so I was just curious amongst the bottom 5 or 6, though I do have to say, for me and it seems you, Benteke, Gaston, and Samba are all the perfect profile of what we need in those areas, and I think Diame could be available as well. I suppose we could go bargain shopping in the league for those players, then look outside the league for 1-2 top top class players, particluarly at the back and up front either out wide, or cam/cf .. I like Ericksson ALOT, but I think he'd take a little while to settle, he's very slight. Coutinho has played alot of matches for his age, Italy has very heavy pitches, and that's why I think he's settled so quickly, and will only get better with an offseason of workouts and training..
I think we will also be in for Ince again (sidenote) and Coutinho will play a more traditional 10 role like Oscar does for Chelsea, and if we had wide options next year of: Sterling, Ince, Ramirez, Assaidi and Suarez/Sturridge who are adaptable, we could have one heck of an exciting and interchangeable strike force..
Take all proceeds from sold players, whatever the owners were going to contribute and start a fundraiser, buy Cavani for 58M, and just score 150 goals!