Manchester United‘s poor start to the Premier League season contiued with a humiliating 4-0 defeat away at Brentford.
United picked up just 58 points from 38 Premier League games during a a terrible 2021-22 campaign and have since named Erik ten ag as their manager.
But Ten Hag hasn’t been able to make an immediate impact as United lost 2-1 to Brighton on the opening weekend before being embarrassed by Brentford.
The Bees took the lead when Josh Dasilva’s strike somehow eluded United goalkeeper David de Gea.and Mathias Jensen made it 2-0 after dispossessing Christian Eriksen and firing past De Gea.
Ben Mee and Bryan Mbeumo also got on the scoresheet and United weren’t even able to score a consolation goal in the second half.
“They are good players, and have to take responsibility on the pitch, as a team and as individuals, and that’s what we didn’t do,” Ten Hag said after the game. “I asked them to play with belief and take responsibility for their performance, and that’s what they didn’t do.
“It’s only when we stick together and work hard that we will overcome that. You have to take belief on to the pitch for yourself and the team.
“Don’t get me wrong, the manager is responsible as well, he has the main responsibility, and I take that. And I will work on that. I have to give them belief, but they have to give it by themselves.”
Here are 13 shocking stats that illustrate how bad United’s current situation is.
-This was Brentford’s first victory against Manchester United since 1938.
– While United’s starting XI at the Brentford Community Stadium cost a total of £424million, Thomas Frank’s XI cost just £55million.
– Brentford ran 109.4km, made 90 sprints and completed 21 pressures in the final third. In comparison, United ran 95.6km, made 65 sprints and completed seven pressures in the final third.
– The defeat to Brentford is the seventh time they have conceded at least four goals in a league game since the start of last season.
– Brentford are just the third side to score four first-half goals against United in a Premier League game after Tottenham in 2020 and Liverpool in 2021. It’s also the first time it’s happened to United in a Premier League away game.
– It’s the first time United have conceded four goals in the first 35 minutes of a Premier League game.
– No side has conceded more goals away from home in the Premier League in 2022 than United (27).
– Erik ten Hag is now the first manager to lose each of his first two games in charge of United since John Chapman in 1921.
– United fnished a day at the bottom of the Premier League table for the first time since August 21st 1992.
– They have picked up just seven points from their last 10 league games. Only Wolves (6) and Southampon (5) have less.
– The Red Devils have lost four league games in a row for the first time since February 1979.
– United have lost seven consecutve away league matches for the first time since 1936.
– They have scored two goals and conceded 21 goals in those seven away league matches.
More Manchester United
12 former Man Utd players to speak out against the Glazers: Neville, Rio…
The 4 players Man Utd signed along with Cristiano Ronaldo in 2003
The article 13 shocking stats from Manchester United’s 4-0 defeat at Brentford appeared first on Planetfootball.com.