Advertisement

2 Bodies Recovered from Pickup Truck After Baltimore Bridge Collapse

The six men, who were members of a construction convoy, had been missing since the bridge collapsed early Tuesday

  • Two bodies have been recovered following the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore

  • Authorities said two bodies were recovered from a pickup truck

  • The Key Bridge collapsed after a container ship hit a bridge support early Tuesday morning

Two bodies were recovered Wednesday morning after the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore.

Authorities said in a press conference Wednesday afternoon that the two remains were found in a red pickup truck by divers shortly before 10 a.m. The truck was submerged in 25 feet of water, Roland Butler Jr., superintendent for Maryland State Police, said.

The victims found in the truck were identified by officials as Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, of Baltimore, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, 26, of Dundalk. Their families were notified Wednesday afternoon. Jeffrey Pritzker, executive vice president of Brawner Builders, told the Washington Post that both victims were among the workers who went missing after the bridge collapse.

“In coordination with our FBI partners, we’ve determined the countries of origin of those presumed deceased to be Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras," Butler Said.

The six construction workers went missing after the bridge collapsed at approximately 1:30 a.m. local time after it was struck by a 985-foot-long, 157 feet wide container ship early Tuesday morning that was leaving the harbor.

Two other men who were working on the bridge survived.

Late Tuesday, U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral Shannon N. Gilreath said he believed the missing men — who were working to repair potholes on the bridge — would not be found alive.

Related: Two Fathers Among Those Reported Missing After Baltimore Bridge Collapse 

"I'd like to announce tonight that based on the length of time that we've gone on this search, the extensive search efforts that we've put into it, the water temperature, at this point, we do not believe that we're going to find any of these individuals still alive," said Gilreath in a press conference on Tuesday night.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Father of three Miguel Luna — who is from El Salvador, but has lived in Maryland for over 19 years — was previously named as one of the victims.

Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, a father of two from Honduras, has also been missing since the bridge's collapse. Sandoval’s brother confirmed to CNN that he was unaccounted for.

Sandoval's brother told the outlet his sibling had been living in the U.S. for 18 years and is a father to an 18-year-old son and a daughter, 5.

<p>JIM LO SCALZO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock</p>

JIM LO SCALZO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

According to Guatemala's foreign ministry, a 26-year-old from San Luis, and a 35-year-old from Camotan are among those missing, but they did not provide names.

A Mexican embassy official told reporters that Mexican nationals were among those unaccounted for, per the outlet.

Related: Baltimore Bridge Collapse Survivor Described Watching Ship Get Closer, Says Maryland Gov.

Before the container ship hit the bridge, the ship's crew was able to issue a "mayday" call. The advance warning allowed officials to “stop the flow of traffic so that more cars were not on the bridge” at the time of the crash and collapse, Moore said.

“Many of the vehicles were stopped before they got on the bridge, which saved lives,” the governor told reporters Tuesday morning. “These people are heroes."

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.