American Football - Miami Dolphins suspend Incognito amid harassment probe

The Miami Dolphins said they have indefinitely suspended defensive lineman Richie Incognito for "conduct detrimental to the team."

American Football - Incognito to remain suspended during Dolphins investigation

View photo

Richie Incognito, Miami Dolphins (Reuters)

The suspension was announced on Sunday night, hours after the Dolphins said they and the National Football League were investigating bullying and abuse allegations made by right tackle Jonathan Martin.

"We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time," the Dolphins said in announcing Incognito's suspension.

Earlier on Sunday, the Dolphins said they had received notifications from Martin's representative alleging that he had been repeatedly harassed by teammates.

"We are taking these allegations very seriously and plan to review the matter further. We have also reached out to the NFL and asked them to conduct an objective and thorough review," the Dolphins said.

Martin left the team last week. The Dolphins said Coach Joe Philbin and several teammates had been in touch with him and that "Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being."

The Dolphins did not elaborate on the allegations against Incognito. In a series of Tweets, Incognito denied wrongdoing and demanded that his name be cleared.

View comments (0)