Sir Andy Murray is currently the face of British tennis. The 29-year-old had an impressive end to the 2016 calendar year, when he eclipsed Novak Djokovic to become the new World No 1.
Who is Andy Murray?
Murray was born on 15 May 1987 in Glasgow, to mother, Judy Murray and father William Murray. He was born with Bipartite patella, a condition where the kneecap remains as two separate bones instead of fusing together in early childhood. He was diagnosed with the condition at the age of 16.
Key facts about Andy Murray
- Full-name: Sir Andrew Barron Murray
- Date of birth: 15 May 1987
- Birthplace: Glasgow, Scotland
- Net worth: £48m-£66m
- Height: 6ft 3in (191cm)
- Weight: 84kg
- Career titles: 45
- Grand Slams: Wimbeldon (2013 and 2016) and US Open (2012)
- Twitter: @andy_murray
- Facebook: @Andymurrayofficial
- Instagram: @andymurray
His grandfather Roy Erskine was a professional footballer, having played for Stirling Albion and Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Football League between 1954 and 1958. However, the 29-year-old did not turn towards kicking a ball; instead he had his eyes set on tennis at the age of three when his mother, Judy Murray took him to the local tennis courts.
Andy was provided with an opportunity to train with the Rangers Football Club at the age of 15. He rejected the proposal as he had his eyes set on becoming a professional tennis player. By now, he had won the Orange Bowl, an event for junior players, in two different categories – "12 and under" and "14 and under."
In 2005, Murray turned professional and the same year, he became the youngest Briton to play in the Davis Cup and also made his debut in the Wimbledon. A year later, he completed a full circuit for the first time and also parted ways with his coach Mark Petchey. In February 2006, he eclipsed Tim Henman to become the British No 1.
Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal were at their peak after Murray made his debut, and the two were fighting with each other most of the time to win Grand Slams. The Scot reached his first Grand Slam final at the 2008 US Open, which he lost to Federer.
Murray's first major success came when he won gold at the 2012 London Olympics, which was followed by a success at the 2012 US Open. The latter was his first career Grand Slam. He has added three more to the tally by winning the Wimbledon in 2013 and 2016.
The year 2016 saw Murray win two Grand Slams and become the new world No 1. He has so far maintained that position, despite struggling in 2017.
- Turned professional at the age of 17 in 2005.
- Won first ATP title in 2006.
- Won gold for Team GB at the 2012 London Olympics, where he defeated former world No 1 Roger Federer.
- Also won silver for Team GB at the 2012 London Olympics in mixed doubles.
- Defeated Novak Djokovic at the 2012 US Open final to win first Grand Slam title.
- Lost to Novak Djokovic at the 2013 Australian Open final, a tournament that he has never won so far.
- In 2013, Murray he became the first British tennis player to win the Wimbledon for the first time in 77 years.
- Lost the 2016 French Open final to Novak Djokovic.
- He also won the Wimbledon in 2016 and he achieved this feat with a straight set victory over Milos Raonic.
- Murray won gold for Team GB at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- He replaced Djokovic to become the new world number one at the 2016 Paris Masters. Murray has maintained that position since then as the Serbian has struggled with injuries.
What is Andy Murray's net worth?
Andy Murray's net worth is estimated somewhere around £48m to £66m, according to The Sun. His net worth increased substantially following his success on the pitch last year. Off the field, he earns through sponsorship deals Standard Life, Head, Rado and Jaguar.
When will Andy Murray's play next?
An elbow injury forced Andy Murray to pull out of the 2017 Miami Open. He also missed out of making it to Great Britain's Davis Cup team. Murray could be ready for the upcoming Monte-Carlo Masters as he came unscathed after a charity exhibition match against Federer on 10 April.
Is Andy Murray married?
Andy Murray married Kim Sears in 2015, ten years after he started dating her. The couple's daughter was born on 7 February 2016.
You may be interested in: