Actor issues warning after carbon monoxide poisoning scare

Francesca SpecterYahoo Style UK deputy editor
Anna Faris shared her family's dangerous brush with carbon monoxide poisoning. [Photo: Getty]
Anna Faris shared her family's dangerous brush with carbon monoxide poisoning. [Photo: Getty]

Anna Faris has issued a carbon monoxide poisoning warning after her family felt victim to the condition at a holiday rental home last week.

The actor shared on Twitter a picture of a table set for 12, with what looks like a hastily abandoned feast.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

In the caption, she explained that she had been “saved from carbon monoxide” by the north Lake Tahoe fire department near where the family were staying to celebrate Thanksgiving.

She does not go into detail as to how the carbon monoxide was discovered, but says it is a “stupidly dramatic story”.

READ MORE: 45 treated for carbon monoxide exposure after chemical leak in Kent

US news station KOLO TV, based in Nevada, reported further on the incident, saying two family members fell sick upon arriving but assumed it was due to altitude sickness. However, when they went to hospital, they were told they had carbon monoxide poisoning.

The police department she credited retweeted the post, together with the message: “Never assume you are safe, check your alarms whenever you travel.”

"I think there's a series of events here that unfolded that made this a fortunate near-miss," North Tahoe Fire Protection District Fire Chief Michael Schwartz told KOLO-TV. "Otherwise I think we would be talking about a Thanksgiving Day tragedy."

Others have weighed in in the comments to share similar instances of carbon monoxide danger, with some sharing tragic fatal instances.

Carbon monoxide risk

“Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal,” according to the Fire Service website.

While it is normally to use carbon-based fuels, problems arise when it isn’t burnt properly produced excess carbon monoxide.

READ MORE: Carbon monoxide danger while travelling: How to minimise risk of it happening to you

The website recommends a number of measures to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in the home, including using audible carbon monoxide alarms.

You should also make sure gas appliance work is performed by a Gas Safe Registered engineer, it says.

Holiday homeowners and carbon monoxide

As a holiday homeowner, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 you are legally required to ensure all gas appliances are safely maintained.

You must also carry out an annual gas safety check by a registered engineer on each of these appliances every two years.

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide claims 60 lives in England and Wales every year, according to the NHS website.

“Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make you unwell, and it can kill if you're exposed to high levels,” the website explains.

The main symptom is a tension-type headache, it says.

Other symptoms can include:

  • dizziness

  • feeling and being sick

  • tiredness and confusion

  • stomach pain

  • shortness of breath and difficulty breathing

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo Style UK:

What to read next