Antonio Brown reportedly wants his off-field issues resolved so that he can make a return to the NFL, even though last month he said he wouldn't play in the league again.
According to ESPN, which cited unidentified sources, Brown wants to clear up his playing status within the next few weeks. But he will wait to sign with a team until he knows for sure whether he will be allowed to play.
The report adds Brown hasn't stopped training, and is even open to returning with the Patriots, though that seems unlikely.
Brown was accused by his former trainer, Britney Taylor, of sexual assault and rape in a civil lawsuit last month. She claimed the receiver assaulted her twice in 2017 and raped her in 2018. A second unidentified woman has also made allegations of sexual misconduct against the receiver.
Brown was released by New England just 11 days into his deal on Sept. 20 after he sent threatening text messages to a second woman who came forward accusing him of sexual misconduct.
He has strongly denied the allegations through his attorney. The NFL is investigating the claims, though ESPN reported Saturday the NFL has yet to interview Brown.
"It's my hope, it's Antonio's hope, that he'll be back playing as soon as possible," his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said last month.
MORE: Broncos have no players on 'trading block,' John Elway says | Packers' Aaron Jones fined for taunting Cowboys' Byron Jones during Week 5 game | Rams' Sean McVay says it's up to Todd Gurley if he wants to play vs. 49ers
"I have had discussions with a few teams that are very interested in him and want to know about his future and what's going on with the NFL. Hopefully, when that is all resolved, Antonio will be able to continue his Hall of Fame career."
The league said in a statement after Brown's release from the Patriots that placing the receiver on the commissioner's list "is not appropriate" at this time, but "such placement may become appropriate at any time depending on the status of the investigation" if he signs with another team.