Antonio Conte explains why Tottenham manager talks broke down

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1-min read
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
 (ES Composite)
(ES Composite)

Antonio Conte says the Tottenham manager vacancy was not "convincing" enough a project to accept.

Spurs and the Italian were in talks last week and appeared to be heading towards an agreement before a breakdown on Thursday.

Standard Sport understands that it was Spurs who withdrew from discussions over Conte's demands, but the former Inter Milan and Chelsea coach claims it was him who back away.

"Generally, I like the challenges and I’ve accepted many of them during my career," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Even the top clubs I coached were never the favourites when I arrived. However, if there’s something that doesn’t convince me I prefer not to accept regardless of the money.”

Discussing his resignation at Inter, Conte insisted his decisions are never based on money.

He said: "The market sets the price, but had I been obsessed by money, I would have stayed where I was in the past. I would have accepted compromises and obtained new contracts.

"I look for the projects instead and I am ready to stay at home if something is not convincing me. It has to do with vision, honesty and principles."

Watch: Super League six in £22m settlement with Premier League

Read More

New Tottenham manager: What we know so far as ‘Paulo Fonseca set to sign three-year contract’

Harry Kane transfer latest: Jose Mourinho believes Tottenham star should stay in Premier League

Antonio Conte to Tottenham OFF as Spurs end interest in former Chelsea FC, Inter Milan coach

Former Tottenham striker Mido launches scathing attack on Daniel Levy over manager search