Antonio Conte slams Julian Nagelsmann over Harry Kane comments; doubles down on Tottenham transfer stance

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Antonio Conte Harry Kane May 2022 Credit: PA Images
Antonio Conte Harry Kane May 2022 Credit: PA Images

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte has labelled Julian Nagelsmann and Bayern Munich ‘disrespectful’ for speaking about his star player Harry Kane.

On Friday, German outlet Bild claimed Bayern officials had made an approach to Kane’s entourage about a potential transfer. And the Bundesliga side didn’t receive a firm ‘no’, making them sit up and take notice.

Since then, Bayern CEO Oliver Kahn and manager Nagelsmann have spoken about the 28-year-old striker. Reporters asked the pair about him due to Robert Lewandowski’s move to Barcelona, which has put Bayern in the market for a new hitman.

Kahn labelled Kane ‘an absolute top striker’ and said his signing was ‘a dream for the future’. Nagelsmann, meanwhile, said: “He’s very expensive that’s the problem – but brilliant player, one of two or three who can play as a centre forward [as well as a] No 10, but he’s very strong, brilliant with [his] head and both feet.

“He could score a lot in the Bundesliga, I don’t know the price, but it’s really tough for Bayern Munich. We’ll see what happens in the future.”

Although it’s still pre-season, Kane doesn’t seem to have been affected by the links with Nagelsmann’s team. During the friendly between Tottenham and Rangers, he hit a brace to give the north London outfit a 2-1 victory.

Following that win, Conte was told by reporters about Nagelsmann’s remarks. He criticised his fellow coach, going on to call Bayern ‘disrespectful’ and insisting Spurs want to retain their talisman.

“Honestly I didn’t hear this. For sure I’m a coach who doesn’t talk about players from other teams. I don’t know why [this happened],” Conte said (via football.london).

Conte reiterates Tottenham stance over Harry Kane

“The situation at Tottenham is very clear. The plan is very clear with the club. Harry is a part of the project. He is a very important part of the project and yeah only rumours.

“At the same time I repeat I don’t like to speak about players from another club. If I want to do something I go to speak to the club, not through the media.

“I think maybe it’s a bit disrespectful for the other club. This is my way. This is my way to face the situation with other players.”

Although Nagelsmann wasn’t trying to be disrespectful, Bayern are certainly in the wrong in this debacle. If they do want to land Kane, then they should contact Spurs rather than telling journalists about it.

The Bavarians should probably move on from Kane though. Spurs chairman Daniel Levy refuses to negotiate with other clubs about Kane, with Manchester City a prime example.

Pep Guardiola’s side were hoping to capture him for £100m. But Levy set his valuation at £150m and didn’t budge, resulting in the England skipper staying.

Meanwhile, Steven Bergwijn has given three reasons for him leaving Spurs and going back to the Eredivisie with Ajax.

The article Antonio Conte slams Julian Nagelsmann over Harry Kane comments; doubles down on Tottenham transfer stance appeared first on Teamtalk.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting