Arthur Melo: Fabrizio Romano provides further update on Brazilian’s future as Liverpool legend casts serious doubt and names star’s major flaw

·4-min read
Arthur Melo, LIverpool midfielder, warms up at Goodison Park, before Premier League game v Everton Credit: PA Images
Arthur Melo, LIverpool midfielder, warms up at Goodison Park, before Premier League game v Everton Credit: PA Images

The immediate future of Arthur Melo at Liverpool has been handed further clarification amid claims his loan spell could end as early as January.

With Liverpool’s midfield options seriously depleted, Liverpool brought the Brazilian to the club on loan from Juventus. That deadline day signing gives the Reds the chance to make the move permanent £32.3m move next summer. However, a little less than two weeks later, serious question marks have been raised over his future.

Firstly came the report that Arthur was in fact only Jurgen Klopp’s fourth-choice signing on deadline day. Indeed, Liverpool had actually asked Juventus about the possibility of signing Denis Zakaria first instead.

And then, more bizarrely, reports emerged earlier this week stating Liverpool are ready to terminate that deal at the first available opportunity. To that end, reports also claim Arthur has no chance of making the move to Anfield permanent.

However, that report has since been denied with Guillem Balague insisting the Reds have not made any quick verdict on the player. Furthermore, he claims they have actually been impressed by what they have seen from him in his early time on Merseyside.

That said, Arthur has featured in just 13 minutes of football so far of the possible 270 he’s been available for. And that came in the latter stages of the demoralising 4-1 defeat at Napoli.

That said, denials that the clock is not ticking on his time at this stage will come as a relief for a player who has done little wrong at this stage.

Now Fabrizio Romano has provided further reassurances to Arthur of how the land lies at Liverpool.

The trusted reporter insists reports from Italy that his time at Anfield is due to end are inaccurate.

Arthur Melo Liverpool future cleared up

He adds that denials have come from both club and the player. The 26-year-old midfielder remains fully focused on reaching his “best condition” – or maximim fitness. And he will continue to work on that with Liverpool’s coaches during his time at their Kirkby training base.

And in a final emphatic show of support, Romano states Arthur is “100% focused on Liverpool”.

As such, Liverpool and Arthur will see out the loan’s duration. That will end officially on June 30, though unofficially at the end of the season.

It will then that the Reds will make a decision on whether to turn that loan into a permanent transfer.

Of course, by then, Liverpool could be some way down the line in their pursuit of other targets.

Jude Bellingham is reportedly very much their top target ahead of a possible summer 2023 transfer. In addition, a report has named three other possible midfield additions on sporting director Julian Ward’s radar.

Graeme Souness unsure over midfielder’s qualities

Despite reassurances over his future, Liverpool legend Graeme Souness is not entirely convinced by the player.

The player was recently left out of the Brazil squad for upcoming matches against Ghana and Tunisia. That will at least allow Arthur Melo more time to acclimatise to life in England and the Premier League.

And Souness remains unsure if his game is entirely suitable to the demands Klopp puts on his midfielders.

“There’s no doubting the quality of Liverpool’s latest addition, Arthur Melo.

“But will he be able to deal with the intensity of the English game? Liverpool play games of cup final intensity every weekend and everyone always has to be at it!”

Writing in the Daily Mail recently, he added: “I do think there is room in that midfield for another high-intensity workaholic who can also deliver a cute pass.

“Go back to Liverpool’s best midfield of three or four years ago. You had Gini Wijnaldum. Workaholic. James Milner. Workaholic. Jordan Henderson. Workaholic.”

With Liverpool’s Premier League clash at Chelsea postponed this weekend, Arthur will be denied the chance for a Premier League debut.

That will now be on hold until October 1 at the earliest when the Reds host Brighton following the international break.

And all eyes will be on the player to see what role he plays in Klopp’s side and just how many minutes he gets.

READ MOREThe eight players that left Liverpool permanently in the summer transfer window and how they’re faring

The article Arthur Melo: Fabrizio Romano provides further update on Brazilian’s future as Liverpool legend casts serious doubt and names star’s major flaw appeared first on Teamtalk.com.