- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Alexander Zverev believes the number of positive Covid-19 cases at the Australian Open is probably a lot higher than what is being reported as players “are not getting tested”.
The German’s revelation came after Frenchman Ugo Humbert announced that he returned a positive coronavirus test a day after his first-round exit from the tournament at the hands of compatriot Richard Gasquet.
Players had to be fully vaccinated in order to compete at Melbourne Park and, unlike in 2021 when regular Covid-19 tests were conducted during the tournament, Zverev says the rules are not as rigid compared to last year.
“I did not know that he (Humbert) had Covid,” he revealed. “This year in Australia there’s a lot more cases than last year.
“We are allowed to go outside to eat, we are allowed to do what we want, so it is natural that more people get Covid.
“My brother when he arrived had Covid, he was in quarantine in Sydney. He does not have it any more, but I think quite a few players had it when they arrived.
“Quite a few players I think have it now. We are not getting tested, so I think if we would get tested there would be probably more positives than there are now, in a way.”
Despite the relaxed rules, the third seed – who advanced to the third round of the hard-court Grand Slam with a three-set win over Australia’s John Millman on Wednesday – prefers to stay in his bubble.
“I am somebody who is here to play the tournament,” he said. “I understand there’s a lot of cases in Melbourne and Australia all around, so I am not doing a lot outside.
“I have not been to any restaurants yet. I’ve not been anywhere other than the hotel room and the courts.
“I am doing my own bubble simply because I do not want to take any risks and want to give myself the best chance possible to do well here. If I get Covid, that is not going to happen.”
The article Australian Open news: ‘We are not getting tested’ for Covid-19, reveals Alexander Zverev appeared first on Tennis365.com.