Andre Villas-Boas is confident Daniel Sturridge will break into the England squad if he maintains his stunning Chelsea form.
The clamour for Sturridge to be handed his first senior international call-up grew on Saturday after the striker scored his fourth goal in four Barclays Premier League games this season, this time in a 3-1 win over Everton.
And Blues boss Villas-Boas said: "I don't want to influence any kind of decision but, eventually, any English player who is performing can get a call-up for the national team."
Sturridge, who has been one of the stars of 2011, was last week touted as a possible replacement for Wayne Rooney in England's European Championship group matches next summer following the Manchester United star's three-match ban.
The 22-year-old has so far been overlooked by Fabio Capello, although he was in the provisional squad for this month's final qualifier in Montenegro and appears certain to be included for November's friendly double-header against Spain and Sweden.
Villas-Boas added: "He was pre-selected, eventually he was not selected for the final squad, but that means that he is close and that it can happen for him. He plays for a top club in the world so I don't see any reason why not."
Villas-Boas has given Sturridge his big break at Chelsea this season after the forward endured limited opportunities under Carlo Ancelotti, who loaned him out to Bolton for the second half of last season.
That gave the striker the first-team football he craved and he did enough to convince new manager Villas-Boas of his abilities.
He also convinced Bolton boss Owen Coyle - a good friend of Villas-Boas - to attempt another loan, a move that was politely but firmly rebuffed.
Villas-Boas said: "I think we always wanted to see him, and that's why we decided to bring him back to our training camp and assess him and make the wise decision."