Blackburn Rovers prepare to enter talks with highly-rated Kjetil Knutsen

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Kjetil Knutsen Bodo Glimt May 2022 Credit: PA Images
Kjetil Knutsen Bodo Glimt May 2022 Credit: PA Images

Blackburn Rovers are preparing to hold talks with Bodo-Glimt manager Kjetil Knutsen about their vacancy, TEAMtalk can reveal.

The Championship outfit are looking for a replacement for Tony Mowbray after the 58-year-old’s contract was not renewed last month.

Rovers have already spoken to a host of managers including former Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvahal. Ex-Celtic boss Ronny Deila and Everton legend Duncan Ferguson have also been approached.

While Michael Beale and Daniel Farke were also spoken to, but have since taken up other offers.

Beale has taken up the head coach role at QPR, while Farke was recently appointed coach of Borussia Monchengladbach.

That has left Rovers still searching for a replacement.

Blackburn have just appointed up Gregg Broughton from Bodo-Glimt to become their new director of football.

Broughton, who has worked for Norwich and Luton previously, was only unveiled on Wednesday. He will take on responsibility for Rovers’ overall football strategy.

“The potential for on and off-field success is enormous and I look forward to working as part of a team to help the club develop and achieve sustainable success,” said Knutsen.

Burnley link

And Rovers are set to take advantage of his Knutsen’s contacts by approaching Knutsen.

Knutsen has done an outstanding job with the Norwegian minnows. He won the league title last season and also reached the quarter-final of the Europa Conference League.

He has already been linked with a host of English jobs. Burnley have been mentioned as suitors, but he is now in line for talks with Blackburn.

The 53-year-old Knutsen brushed off talk of joining the Clarets last month.

“I have no comment on that. I want to train Bodo/Glimt,” said the Norwegian via the Lancashire Telegraph.

 

“I’m going to repeat something that I have said 100 times. If you are not 100 percent where you are, consider doing something else.

“This is how I attack every single working day.”

Kjetil Knutsen threat

Knutsen threatened to walk away from football after UEFA banned him from the touchline against Roma in April.

UEFA punished him for “conduct which is insulting or otherwise violates the basic rules of decent conduct” after he was allegedly involved in a post-match altercation with the Italians.

“It is on a level that I have considered whether I should continue with this,” he said. “It is so far from my, the club’s and Norwegian football’s values.

“Such things can make me want to do something completely different. For me, the most important thing is to be able to see myself in the mirror.

“If it’s at the expense of it, I have to consider whether it’s actually worth it. This game costs a lot.”

The article Blackburn Rovers prepare to enter talks with highly-rated Kjetil Knutsen appeared first on Teamtalk.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting