Blues ship five as Christchurch score four times in 14 minutes

·3-min read
George Stuttle scored Portland's equaliser with a firm header in the 56th minute 	             Picture: RYAN ASMAN
George Stuttle scored Portland's equaliser with a firm header in the 56th minute Picture: RYAN ASMAN



Scroll to continue with content

PORTLAND United suffered a late collapse as Christchurch stormed to a 5-1 victory at the Camp & Satherley Stadium.

It means the Blues are still without a win three games into the new Wessex League Premier Division season, while also suffering an FA Cup exit along the way.

However, their second league defeat of the campaign was not without controversy.

Portland thought they had taken a 1-0 lead in the fifth minute when Ben Morris blasted a low free-kick through the wall and into the bottom-left corner.

READ MORE: Hamble Club 2-2 Portland United - match report

However, the referee immediately blew his whistle for an infringement a split second before Morris struck the free-kick, much to Portland’s disgust.

Portland’s misery was compounded when Josh Ferguson netted for Christchurch six minutes later.

The Blues pushed for an equaliser before half-time but saw Liam Sayers fire over while George Stuttle and Ryan McKechnie both had efforts saved.

Portland continued to create chances after the break as Josh Williams had a shot saved before Stuttle headed the Blues level in the 56th minute.

Sayers was then denied by a fabulous save and the teams were locked at 1-1 until the 71st minute.

What followed was pure chaos as Christchurch scored four times in the next 14 minutes.

Ollie Davis put Priory back in front and on 75 minutes Fawzi Saadi’s side went 3-1 up through ex-Blues striker Eder Batista – again in controversial circumstances as Portland argued Williams had been blocked by the referee in the build-up.

Portland introduced new signing Brin Doyle for his debut but Christchurch soon went 4-1 up as the hosts’ defence began to unravel, Mohamed Zorgani beating keeper Josh Lucas.

Doyle, signed on dual terms from Dorchester, showed a glimpse of his talent by shooting just over from distance.

Instead, it was Christchurch who scored next as Zorgani completed a late brace to send the Priory bench into raptures.

Speaking to Portland’s media team, co-boss Sam Poole said: “First half was OK, the wind played a factor in some of their set-pieces and that’s where they looked dangerous.

“We weren’t at the races a hundred per cent first half but we were OK and then the first 20 minutes of that second half I thought we were good, we got our equaliser through George.

“Then the most disappointing thing was that we were in control, we had momentum, we give away a free-kick in their own half, they swing a ball into the box.

“They win the first header, they get the second one, it comes out to (Davis), nobody closes him down and the lad finishes.

“The game swung back to them and then it was just that feeling of working so hard to get back into the game, get the momentum on our side and that killer punch took the wind out of our sails.

“The latter stages of the game are not acceptable from our point of view.”

Blues: Lucas, Toland (Doyle 76), Stuttle, Harvey, Poole, Williams, Morris, McKechnie, Sayers, Thomas (M Smith 76), F Clarke. Subs not used: Walbridge, Hewitt.

Match sponsor: Regency Dental Practice

Match ball sponsor: Weymouth FC Cafe – Matt Avant

Programme sponsor: BMWeymouth – Andy Avant

Attendance: 160

More from