Borussia Dortmund fans offer stranded Monaco supporters accommodation in classy #bedforawayfans gesture

Telegraph Sport

Borussia Dortmund fans showed their class once more on Tuesday evening by offering accommodation for the night for Monaco supporters, left stranded after their Champions League clash was postponed.

Dortmund's team bus was rocked by three explosions that caused defender Marc Bartra to need hospital treatment and forced the postponement of the match until Wednesday.

That left many travelling supporters without a place to stay for the night. However, Dortmund's supporters - through a #bedforawayfans hashtag campaign - have lent help.

The club ensured the message spread to supporters by tweeting the hashtag.

Football fans from around the world have been quick to commend the wonderful gesture.

"Thank you for showing that football is not just football," said one.

Another added: "There is still beauty and kindness in this world. Love this hashtag."

Earlier, the German club announced a bomb exploded on their bus before the first leg of the quarter-final tie, which was put back until Wednesday.

The incident was believed to have happened around three kilometres away from Dortmund's stadium.

A statement on the club's Twitter account said: "Bomb explosion on the team bus at the team hotel. Players are safe."

In an initial announcement, Dortmund had said: "At the departure of our bus, an incident occurred. One person was injured."

The injured individual was confirmed to be Dortmund's Spanish defender Bartra.

His club tweeted: "Dortmund confirmed In the explosion @MarcBartra was injured and is currently in the hospital. Good and fast recovery, Marc! #bvbasm"

Dortmund and European governing body UEFA said shortly after 1930BST that the match had been called off, and would instead kick off at 1745BST on Wednesday.

RegisterLog incommenting policy

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes