Boxing - Boylan sits pretty with Masters win

As chief support to Richard Commey's eighth round stoppage of Paul Truscott, Goodwin Promotions Saturday Night Fever card at the York Hall featured Carshalton's 'Pretty' Ricky Boylan (9-0), boxing over eight rounds for the first time and picking up the minor Bronze International Masters belt by outpointing Czech Jan Holec (3-1) by a 79-74 margin on Referee Jeff Hinds' card.

Boxing - Boylan sits pretty with Masters win

View photo

Boylan sits pretty with Masters win - Dallas returns on Saturday Night Fever

There's certainly no questions to be asked of Boylan's fitness. The light welterweight ran a marathon less than 48 hours after his last fight, raising over £5000 for DEBRA, the national charity working on behalf of people in the UK with the genetic skin blistering condition Epidermolysis Bullosa.  Find out more at

Boylan (9st 13lbs 6oz) did pretty much what he wanted in the opener against Holec (9st 13lbs) showing a fast jab and some good evasive movement from the ropes. Speedy combinations bounced off Holec's gloves as Boylan continued to dominate by work rate in the second and third sessions, with little returning from the Czech.

Holec (one of four Czech Republicans on tonight’s bill) got lively and more aggressive in the fourth. Good exchanges closed the round and led to a fairly even fifth in which Holec had started to match Boylan's work. So far, The Carshalton fighter had found no way to break through Holec's tight guard, and his punches didn't seem to be putting him off coming foward.

The pace remained brisk through the sixth and seventh sessions, with Boylan slightly busier, but at this stage the shots coming from both fighters didn't make it look as if the fight would end early. It was difficult to split them in the closer, but Boylan's more accurate and frequent shots were enough to take all but a couple of rounds.

Boylan's first belt is of the International Masters Bronze variety, and it's in dashing light blue - he's pictured modelling it above between trainers Alan Smith and Eddie Lamm.

Saturday Night Fever saw the return of Chatham heavyweight Tom Dallas (17-3), who last boxed in the semi final of Prizefighter last year, losing to eventual winner Tor Hamer.

Early on, Dallas certainly didn't suffer from a lack of confidence against Czech Tomas Mrazek (7-42-6), and took the first with a high workrate, planting jabs between Mrazek's guard and generally bullying the Czech around.

Dallas' (16st 11lbs) high tempo continued throughout the second until he went over at the end of the round from a slip, caused by a misfired left hook. He looked a little embarrassed as he got back up, and the third session saw a better effort from Mrazek (16st 10lbs). While Dallas was still industrious, his shots were absorbed by Mrazek's gloves and the Kent heavy had dodgy spells against the ropes, at times in retreat from positive work coming from the Czech.

Although Dallas's defensive moves looked a lot better than they did against Matt Skelton, shots from Mzarek had bloodied his nose. The pair shared an even fifth, and were given a breather when the Czech's glove tape came loose.

After more problems with Mrazek's glove tape (and some tutting from referee Jeff Hinds), Dallas edged a fairly even closer, but wasn't able to put together anything to stop the Czech from coming forwards. Jeff Hinds scored 59-55 for Dallas. If Dallas could maintain the dominance he showed in the first two rounds, he could still win something domestically.

After losing his first two professional fights, Ilford super middle Kevin Greenwood (3-2) was understandably keen to get his third consecutive win and show a positive record, which he managed fairly easily against Czech Vaclav Polak (1-2) over six two minute rounds.

Greenwood (12st) was quick on his feet, but a little inaccurate during a fast paced opening round. Polak (12st 3lbs) went down in the second, but up was quickly, only for Williams to administer a count.

Some good work followed from Greenwood up close as Polak advanced. His swings at range were a little wild, which left him susceptible to the occasional jab from Polak but these were negated by good inside work, including a close range uppercut, which was the pick of Greenwood's shots.

The better shots from Polak were avoided in the fourth, and the Czech looked a little tired, but Greenwood was gun shy at the start of the fifth before a good four-punch combo stunned Polak and pushed him back.

The Czech got off to a good start in the closer, but copped a low shot which caused him take and knee - referee Robert Williams gave him a good half a minute to recover. He came back with a little gusto, but Greenwood had knocked it out of him by the end of the round. Robert Williams scores 59-56 for Greenwood.

Bushey's Miles Shinkwin (3-0) took his first six rounder against Doncaster journeyman John Anthony (8-32-1). This pair looked fairly evenly matched in the opener, but not fortoo long. Shinkwin (12st 11lbs) was short with his jab, and Anthony (12st 11lbs 8oz) produced some good work on the inside, and to the body.

Shinkwin boxed from the back foot in the first half of the round and reacted to Anthony's advances. The roles reversed, clumsy swings coming in were easily avoided by Shinkwin, who moved well and looked relaxed. He asserted himself in the third. Anthony was busy at close range, but not enough to trouble the Bushey light heavy.

Shinkwin's jab grew in accuracy as the fight progressed and in the fourth he was winning inside exchanges, which slowed Anthony's work rate and made his increasingly wild swings were easily avoided.

Anthony started the fifth brightly until a body shot hurt him. Shinkwin followed in before Rob Williams split them and warned Shinkwin to keep his punches up. Anthony was tiring, and Shinkwin became more dominant as the round progressed.

Anthony put a good effort in the closer, outworking Shinkwin on the inside but missing with his forceful shots and being picked off from range. Robert Williams scores 60-54 for Shinkwin, who looks solid and fluent.

Debutant Remel Scott-Pavelin, trained by Peter Sims, looked fairly tidy as he got his pro career off to a start against Czech Tomas Kugler (14-31-1).

Scott-Pavelin (12st 13lbs 4oz) used his jab as a weapon and followed in with hooks to Kugler's (12st 8lbs 4oz) body, one of which made him wince and prone to hold. He did respond with a flurry towards the bell. A left hook found Kugler early in the second, and the debutant continued to launch methodical left-rights with the bare minimum coming back.

Persistent punching from Scott-Pavelin raised Kugler's guard for most of the third, until a scrappy response came just before the bell. The pattern continued in the closer until Kugler burst into life at the end of the round and had a go, forcing Scott-Pavelin to cover up, but too little too late. Scott-Pavelin wins 40-37 on Jeff Hinds card.

Dagenham cruiserweight Robin Dupre (2-0) had to wait until after the main fight to take on Paul ‘Maniac’ Morris (5-17-2) from Preston, who, apparently, had spent eight hours on the Motorway getting to the York hall.

Dupre (14st 5lbs), looking a little fleshy, was the much busier of the pair in the opener, pressing the action and catching Morris (14st 10lbs) with a right, which caused a stumble, but Morris was quickly back to balance. Dupre was forceful, and Morris didn't throw much in the second and soaked up some fulsome looking right hands. 

It got scrappy in the closing two rounds with Dupre looking to finish, but the Maniac is a hard man indeed. Against debutant AJ Carter earlier in the year, who was two stone heavier, I witnessed Morris soak up powerful, repeated right-handers to the crust without going down.

Referee Robert Williams scored 40-37 for Dupre, which concluded Saturday Night Fever at the York Hall.  

Pictures by Bernard Miller fort BoxRec News

Read the original article on BoxRecNews

View comments (0)