It has been announced that Mexican sensation Alvarez, who boasts a record of 41-0-1 with 30 knockout victories aged only 22, will fight another undefeated light middleweight in Austin Trout (26-0, 14 KOs) as expected.
But instead of Canelo-Trout being the semi-main event underneath Mayweather’s return to the ring to fight Robert Guerrero, Alvarez will instead put his WBC title up against the WBA version held by ‘No Doubt’ in San Antonio, Texas on April 20.
Golden Boy supremo Richard Schaefer, who represents Alvarez, says the change in plans has come because Mayweather refused to commit to taking on Canelo next after his bout with Guerrero.
"Canelo said he wouldn't fight on the May 4 undercard unless he had a written contract to fight Floyd [in the fall], assuming he won and assuming Floyd beat Guerrero," Schaefer explained.
"Floyd told us he didn't have a problem fighting Canelo, but he wasn't going to sign anything now. He said, 'All of my focus is on Guerrero,' and I'm not signing anything to fight anybody until after that fight is over.”
Though Mayweather has proven time and time again that he can rake in record gates and pay-per-view figures when he boxes in Cinco de Mayo weekend, one of boxing’s biggest dates in the calendar year, the loss of such a huge bout as chief support will come as a blow.
Two marquee title fights with Latino interest in both, followed by inevitable post-fight interviews and perhaps even a face-to-face to begin the hype towards Mayweather-Canelo in September, would have stood a stronger chance of blowing away the previous two biggest non-heavyweight events of all time, both featuring Mayweather on Cinco weekend.
‘Money’ became just that when he defeated Oscar de la Hoya in 2007, and the American, who tops the world pound-for-pound rankings, delivered the goods again when outpointing Miguel Cotto a year ago.
Nonetheless, the autumn plan could yet be implemented should Mayweather retain and if Alvarez gets past the biggest challenge of his young career so far against Trout at the Alamodome.
Schaefer feels the decision to split the fight away from Mayweather-Guerrero, while costing Canelo a degree of additional exposure, will help reinforce the notion that his charge is a world-class fighter.
"Canelo feels he's his own man and can carry his own event,” he added.
“He knows there are people who doubt him and, I agree with you, it's a risky fight for him. But this is what Canelo wants. He is his own boss and we do what the fighters want."
The Mayweather-Guerrero bout will take place at the MGM Grand Casino and Hotel in Las Vegas.
- Sports & Recreation
- Robert Guerrero
- Austin Trout