Boxing - Foot comes down on retiring Cook

Chief support on the Dickinson v Stafford bill from Rainton Meadows Arena last night saw probably the best fight of the night and a result which sent the locals home happy.


Recent Prizefighter winner Glen Foot made a successful step up in class by halting former European champion Jason Cook in seven rounds.

The fight was scheduled for eight rounds at light-welter. In an interesting fight, where Foot was made to fight in a more educated manner than usual, the Sunderland man having scored a knockdown of Cook in round three then ultimately prevailed in round seven, first hurting Cook with big right hands to score a heavy knockdown and then pouring in some savage right hands forcing Cook’s corner to throw in the towel with referee Andrew Wright poised to step in.

A cut in the previous round from an accidental head clash had seemed to drain some life out of the Welshman and Foot to his credit had seized upon this. Cook briefly needed some medical attention after the fight but it was good to see this was merely precautionary and he seemed to announce his retirement after the fight and received a good hand from the crowd and from Foot himself.

Foot can be happy with this performance and result and looks like he could make waves domestically. A tendency to ‘show’ with the right hand will need to be worked on but bearing in mind he is still essentially a novice pro with 11 fights behind him the signs look good. He also has a pleasing fan friendly style and can clearly dig which will stand him in good stead as he steps up in class.

The fight wasn’t all one way traffic and Cook at times showed his quality built up over a long career with some nice countering lefts and at times he made Foot look a little one dimensional. However, you always felt Foot would find a way to win and ultimately this proved to be the case. It will be interesting to see how the Foot story unfolds from here.

The rest of the undercard saw wins for all the local fighters on the bill. The best performance came from Sunderland’s Kirk Goodings who with educated pressure scored a shutout 40-36 points win over four threes against a slightly negative Youssef Al Hamidi who spent the whole fight on his bike. To that end in what must have been a slightly frustrating experience, Goodings deserves a little credit for his effective pressure, ultimately scoring the win.

In a curious fight, Fishburn’s Gary Fox registered his eleventh win in the paid ranks by scoring a 40-35 points win again over four threes against Sheffield’s Jason Carr. I say curious, in that not a great deal actually happened. To his credit at least Fox tried to make a fight of it, without ever landing anything really of note. Carr for his part had a point deducted for excessive holding which really sums up the contribution he made to the fight. Onwards and upwards for Fox.

Middlesbrough’s Paul Truscott was given a nice six-round workout from Hungarian Sandor Racz, winning every round on referee Mark Curry’s card to come out a 60-53 winner, the visitor deducted a point in round four and repeatedly warned during the fight for various offences. In between the moments of scrappy action, Truscott showed fast hands and good variety from body to head especially with the left hand to win with something to spare. Truscott will look to move on and get back into the domestic mix again after varying success in the past few years.

The undercard also saw a welcome return for local heavyweight Danny Hughes who had not fought since 2011. Taking into account the length of absence and the fact that his opponent, Ladislav Kovarik was the type of short, squat heavyweight who is awkward to catch cleanly Hughes can be relatively pleased with his nights work. Single right hands and uppercuts enough to secure a 40-36 win for Hughes who will be looking to be more active moving forward.

The show opener saw Hartlepool lightweight Callum Winton score his second win in three outings against Paul Haines from Manchester, 39-37 on referee Andrew Wright’s scorecard. Winton in flashes provided some decent action with straight hands ultimately proving enough for the win.

Last time out Anthony ‘Baby Face’ Nelson had everything his own way against Francis Croes. This time out he was made to fight back from a flash knockdown in the first to grind out a 39-37 verdict from referee Mark Curry against always awkward Ryan McNichol from Glasgow. Credit to Nelson for finding a way to win, doing so with fast hands and pressure. Nelson will have learned a lot from this fight and the likes of McNichol are a good test for Nelson at this stage of his career.

A debut win is always pleasing, and the undercard saw one for Newcastle fighter Chris Bennett who prevailed 40-37 over veteran journeyman Billy Smith at welterweight. Showing fast hands and some nice skills Bennett was given a good workout from Smith and as debuts go Bennett can be pleased to get the first win in the bank, with a good performance a bonus.

To sum up, the Dickinson ride continues to gather pace. This coupled with another good win for Glen Foot made it another good night for the North East and the boxing renaissance in this part of the world continues to motor along. Local lads getting opportunities on the undercard is also a welcome sight.

Credit to Phil Jeffries and Frank Maloney for their continued work in the North East and it’s onwards and upwards from here.

Read the original article on

View comments (1)