Boxing - Legg in comeback win

Matt Legg (6-1) put in a solid comeback performance in Milton Keynes on Sunday afternoon with a four round win over previously unbeaten Czech fighter Radek Linka (4-1). Legg (16st 1lb) turned up looking in great shape and easily out pointed Linka (15st 6 1/2lb) almost forcing a stoppage in the last stanza.


Legg’s fans gathered in their hundreds to witness their fighter start cautiously behind his jab in the first. It took Legg a couple of minutes to warm up and find his range, but when he did he landed some heavy looking body shots, which didn’t deter the Czech import who was more than willing to throw back some leather every time Legg landed.

Legg started the second slowly but looking more confident as he tried to pick his shots rather than jumping in throwing big hooks. He landed two big right hands to the jaw, only for Linka to fire back with his own head and body shots.

During the third session, Legg was starting to bully Linka and take undeniable control of the fight. Legg’s right hand was starting to land more accurately and more often, troubling Linka, who still made his presence felt by landing the occasional body shot.

The fourth was a huge round for the home fighter as he opened up, trying to work his way in with feints and jabs. Then Legg landed a huge left-right to Linka’s head which had the Czech in all sorts of trouble and as his legs crumbled he fell down against the ropes. This forced referee Robert Williams to give Linka an eight count. Legg showed good instinct and went in for the kill but just couldn’t quite stop Linka who tied up Legg after his big attacks.

Legg was announced a 40-35 winner by Williams. Speaking after the fight Legg said: “I felt good going into the fight and after the 1st round I knew he couldn’t hurt me, and I could tell in his eyes that he was wary of my power.”

Full undercard, including another win by heavyweight sensation Hughie Fury, to follow.

Read the original article on BoxRecNews

View comments (0)