Boxing - McAllister wins at a canter on Grand National Day

Lee McAllister returned to the ring with a shut-out points win over six rounds on Saturday evening at Aberdeen's Beach Ballroom. In the opposite corner was Slovakian Ivan "Little Dragon" Godor.


McAllister had been out of action since his European Light-Welterweight title challenge to Denis Shafikov in February last year. The opening round was a quiet affair with few punches thrown. A good left hand and body shot was enough for McAllister to take the opener. The Aberdeen Assassin showed a patient approach in the second as he looked to shake off some of the ring rust from over a year out. He started to throw more leather in the third and began to have some success with his jab.

The Slovakian's best round came in the fourth. He started the round brightly before McAllister finished the stronger to level the round on my card. The fifth was a better round for McAllister, seeing him land more often and with more accuracy than Godor.

The crowd was much quieter than normal for a McAllister fight and the former Commonwealth Champion tried to get them going by stamping the canvas several times. It was more of the same from McAllister in the last round as he threw more punches than Godor.

On Grand National Day it was the Scotsman that won at a canter as he got the nod with a 60-54 points decision to move to 35(9)-3.

After the fight Tommy Gilmour MBE said "I thought it was a smashing performance by Lee tonight. I liked that he didn't showboat and he gave the guy that's went the distance with Martin Gethin and David Barnes respect, and he boxed and showed the ability that he has got." When asked who he wanted to see McAllister fight next he replied "The Willie Limond fight is a fight that I'm deperate to make. I've got a meeting with Willie Limond on Tuesday and we will see from there." McAllister was happy to get six rounds under his belt and after the fight said "I just want to get the fight with Limond on. It's a great fight for Scottish boxing and once I take care of Limond I want Alex Arthur."

The performance of the night came from Darren "Trayn-Wreck" Traynor (9st 3lb 8ozs) who was matched against Birmingham's Sid Razak (9st 8lb 8ozs). Traynor started fast throwing lots of punches in the opener. A good mix of head and body shots for most of the round forced Razak to cover up for most of the round. The second was another good round for Traynor and although Razak tried to throw more he found it hard to land as the Scotsman didn't give him a moments peace. Traynor used the ring well in round three and a good left/right combination rocked the Englishman's head back.

It was more of the same in the fourth as Traynor slipped Razak's punches well before countering with his own. Razak landed his best punch of the fight in the fifth with a solid left hook however it was another round dominated by the home fighter. Razak stuck in until the end however it was Traynor that showed a great deal of potential as he dominated this six-twos taking a 60-54 points win. Traynor moves to 5(2)-0 and looks like he will soon be ready to mix at a higher level.

The chief support saw Matthew "The Hawk" McAllister (10st 10lb) take on Brighton's Kevin McCauley (10st 13lb) over six-twos. The referee for the evening was Kenny Pringle and he was kept busy in this contest. It was a patient start from the Matty McAllister as he landed several decent body shots. McCauley, who is a former Midlands Area Champion, threw more punches in the first round but the cleaner punches were landed by McAllister.

The Aberdeen man started to throw more in the second and again landed the more accurate punches. Both fighters tried to throw punches on the inside and attempted to rough each other up. They were at it again in the third as McAllister was thrown across the ring. In a close round it looked like McAllister just shaded it.

The action warmed up in the fourth. McCauley took a breather at the start of the round before starting to throw more. It was McAllister that finished the round stronger in another close stanza. The action remained competitive in the fifth as Matty threw good combinations and worked the body of the Englishman. Both fighters exchanged low blows and kept the referee busy. The crowd exploded into life at the start of the sixth with a "stand free" chant as they roared on their local favourite. A good last 30 seconds from McAllister earned him a 59-55 victory on referee Pringle's card.

The show opener on this Granite City Promotions card was between Marek Laskowski (10st 5lb 12ozs) from Aberdeen and Tamworth's Matt Seawright (10st 12lb) over six-twos. Southpaw Laskowsi was the busier in the early stages. The styles clashed a bit with both men doing a lot of work on the inside. The Granite City man looked better when throwing combinations and looked good when he let his punches go.

Laskowski had to ship a big right hand from Seawright in the fifth however it was the Polish born fighter that clearly won the round. Both dug deep in the last and Seawright deserves credit for giving it a go until the end. It was Laskowski that landed the cleaner scoring punches throughout the contest as he emerged victorious by a score of 60-54.

Read the original article on

View comments (0)