Brighton 'confident and relaxed' on Cucurella future, says Potter

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Brighton and Hove Albion are "confident and relaxed" over the future of Marc Cucurella, as the Seagulls continue to wait and see if Manchester City will match their valuation.

The Premier League champions, who were beaten 3-1 by Liverpool in the Community Shield on Saturday, have been pursuing the defender as one of their major off-season transfer targets, having already brought Erling Haaland, Julian Alvarez and Kalvin Phillips into the fold.

But a reported unwillingness to meet the £50million price tag set by Brighton on a player they signed last year has seen talks stall, leaving the ball firmly in City's court.

"There is not too much to say it is just part of modern-day football," Potter told reporters after seeing his side beat Espanyol in a friendly, with Cucurella missing out through an apparent calf issue.

"We are confident and relaxed in our position. We are just looking forward to the season starting and preparing the team."

Cucurella's absence on Saturday saw him perhaps dodge the ire of supporters, after he reportedly handed in a transfer request, but Potter feels fans will respect the player's eventual decision.

"I don't think people would do that," Potter stated. "I think people have a nice feeling for Marc [Cucurella], they understand the speculation and things that happen when the transfer window is open."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting