Brooks Koepka out of Travelers Championship after caddie tests positive for COVID-19

Sporting News

Brooks Koepka is one of five players who have withdrawn from the Travelers Championship this week, but the tournament will continue despite those exits and three positive coronavirus tests.

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan updated the media Wednesday after Cameron Champ and caddies Ken Comboy (for Graeme McDowell) and Ricky Elliott (for Koepka) returned positive tests for COVID-19. Koepka, Champ, McDowell, Webb Simpson and Chase Koepka (Brooks' Koepka's brother) all withdrew from the event.

MORE: Watney's contacts test negative; Thomas calls crowded Hilton Head a 'zoo'

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

"We have been working since March to develop a comprehensive health and safety plan that would be considered a best practice among professional sports leagues," Monahan said. "While we've been thorough in building an implementing a program that mitigates as much risk as possible, we knew it would be impossible to eliminate all risk, as evidenced by the three positive tests this week.

"We need to use these developments as a stark reminder for everyone involved as we continue to learn from an operational standpoint."

Brooks Koepka said he has not tested positive for COVID-19, "but as I've said all along, I'm taking this very seriously.

"I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize the health of any player in the field or his ability to compete.

"I was planning to take the next two weeks off anyway, so the right thing to do right now is get home, support Ricky and feel confident that I'm doing what I can do protecting my fellow Tour members, my PGA Tour friends and everyone associated with the Travelers Championship this week."

Nick Watney tested positive at the RBC Heritage last week to become the first PGA Tour player with a confirmed case of COVID-19. The tour returned to action June 11 at Colonial.

What to read next