Bruno Fernandes has shared his thoughts on Cristiano Ronaldo’s dramatic Manchester United exit and insists: “Nothing lasts forever.”
Ronaldo’s Man Utd exit had been on the cards for quite some time after a frustrating start to the season. He now finds himself as a free agent after mutually agreeing to cancel his contract.
His chances in the first team had been somewhat limited under Erik ten Hag this season.
In the Premier League Ronaldo only started in four matches under the new manager and played a total of 520 minutes in the league.
Ronaldo is now fully focused on Portugal’s World Cup campaign, although the speculation surrounding his future cannot be ignored. Portugal will kick off their tournament with a game against Ghana on Thursday.
Bruno Fernandes has his say
International teammate Fernandes has now opened up on Ronaldo’s exit from Old Trafford.
Rumours were recently put to bed that there had been a frosty relationship between the pair after the interview took place.
But after being asked a leading question by a journalist on Ronaldo’s exit, Fernandes offered a clever response.
“I don’t feel uncomfortable. I don’t have to pick a side,” Fernandes told reporters (via Metro).
“It’s been an honour to play alongside him for club and country. It was a dream come true, but nothing lasts forever.
“Here everybody is focused on the World Cup. Everyone is aware of what it means to represent our country.”
It has been suggested that Fernandes has struggled to thrive alongside Ronaldo in the Man Utd setup.
His best season for United came in 2020-21, prior to Ronaldo’s arrival, where he scored 28 goals across all competitions.
Last season his output dropped to just 10 goals as the team was reworked to accommodate Ronaldo.
The pair will have to be at their best for Portugal though if they want to come out on top.
What’s next for Ronaldo?
Since his departure, plenty of rumours have started to gain traction surrounding Ronaldo’s next club.
It has been reported that Ronaldo is currently torn between joining two sides – Newcastle and Al-Nassr. Links to Saudi Arabia cropped up in the media last summer, but ultimately Ronaldo decided against the proposed move.
He is now said to be giving serious consideration to the move and will probably assess what is next for him after the World Cup.
Newcastle would also be an interesting destination for Ronaldo as Eddie Howe’s side could offer him the opportunity to continue in the Premier League.
Given how well they are going this season, there is every chance that they quality for the Champions League next season.
Howe’s side currently sit third in the Premier League and are four points above Man Utd who sit fifth.
READ MORE: Man Utd takeover: Dubai investors the favourites as Jude Bellingham deal comes into sharp focus
The article Bruno Fernandes not taking sides in Ronaldo row with Man Utd star left feeling ‘uncomfortable’ at journalist’s questions appeared first on Teamtalk.com.