Pope had been in line to be in England’s squad for this summer’s rescheduled tournament, but he has had a knee issue towards the end of this season.
In the end, it was decided the 29-year-old needed to undergo surgery and he was left out of Gareth Southgate’s squad on Tuesday.
Pope has now gone under the knife and it has been successful, with the goalkeeper hungry to get back playing once he’s fully fit.
“We’re expecting the recovery to go well at this early stage, but we’ll wait and see as he recovers,” said Burnley boss Sean Dyche.
“He’s had a really, really good season once again. He continues to develop into a top, top keeper.
“He’s incredibly unfortunate to have this happen at this time but once again he’s shown what a top keeper he is during the season and I’m sure will do again going into next season once he recovers.”
Speaking about Pope missing out on Euro 2020, Southgate said on Tuesday: “For Nick, it’s heartbreaking to get an injury so close to a major tournament.
“He’s been a fantastic member of our squad; a totally unselfish guy.
“In Russia, he spent hour after hour throwing himself around for penalties, which was as important in our penalty shoot-out success as the guys who took them.
“Him and Jack Butland were phenomenal in those situations. I’m really disappointed for him.”